Questions for a potential first timer

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Pondering

Questions for a potential first timer

Post by Pondering »

I'm trying to decide whether it would be a good idea for my 13 year old son and I to try and build a canoe together, or if it would smarter to just buy one instead.

I enjoy building things to some extent, but the only things that I've ever made are much simpler compared to a boat. I'm thinking about the 17' touring canoe. I doubt that I already own many or any of the tools necessary for boat making.

Is it cost effective building compared to buying a canoe?

Approx Tool costs?

Are the instructions fairly comprehensive so someone who doesn't know anything about woodworking or boats would be able to pull it off?

Anyone who has the time to give me some advice or answers would be much appriciated.

Thanks!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I worked with Morten to develop a set of comprehensive instructions.

See this page on how to get them for free.

http://jemwatercraft.com/free.php

The instructions provide a list of basic tools needed. Only power tools you really need are a jig saw and a good sander. You could even skip those if you like doing things by hand.

Get the free plans and I think they will answer mnay of your questions regarding building.

As far as cost, that depends on the quality of plywood you buy. Marine grade plywood for the free canoe design will run your around $180. Add the cost of epoxy and fiberglass and you're looking are about $500 investment. But in return you'll have a very solid, nice looking canoe. The experience you and your son will have cannot be priced.

Some builders have had luck with less expensive and lesser quality plywood.

However, if you find an older used canoe in good condition, you could spend $500 and be on the water the same day.

I always say don't build a boat to try and save money. Build one because you want the experience of building one.
-Matt. Designer.
Pondering

Post by Pondering »

Thanks for the reply. I'll look over the plans to try and get a better idea if it's something that I think we'd be able to do.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

If you have ever made anything out of wood then you can make a boat , model airplanes , coffee tables all of that is nothing but wood , just like the boat.

Follow the instructions and before you know it you have a hand crafted , custom boat , not something off the shelf that might do.

The tools are simple , a saw (hand) a sander and some tools you should have around your home. The clamps can be made by your self or you can purchase them.
The tools can be used to make all the boats you would want or need. The epoxy and fiberglass has to be replaced as it is used.

The best tool you can have is the one between your ears , that is the one that gets the most use when making a wood boat.

Chuck.
PS. The biggest obstacle to get over is actually deciding to do it. You will never know till you do it. :roll:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Pondering
I just finished my first wooden boat The Freedom Kayak by JEM the plans are very easy to read and the boats are not that hard to build.
I am very pleased with mine and strongly recomend Jems Plans
this forum has a lot of guys to help you if you hit a stump.
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Morten gets the lions share of credit for the canoe plans. I just helped out.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Pondering,

Welcome aboard mate.

If you are planning on paddling mostly calm backwaters and small lakes & streams etc. i would recommend you consider a pirogue as your first build.

The plans are very cheap, and the boats are way easier to build than a true canoe. (less panels, less marking out and cutting, less work all round) :D and the pirogues really are amazing boats, fast, fun to paddle and very stable.

I haven't built one of Mortons boats - yet :D but with his being an associate of Matts and all, I am certain the plans will be clear and concise and easy to follow. If you get stuck, all you need to do is ask the question here and before you know it, a lot of blokes will be chiming in to help out.

As for tooling, you don't need a heck of a lot, sander and jig saw and bunch of clamps, tape measure etc. is about all. More tools will make it easier and quicker, of course but they are not necessary to build a very good boat.

re pricing, I don't know about American prices but out here, I can build a very good canadian canoe, using the best available ply and epoxy for around $500.00 Australian. I think that would equate to about US$400.00.

An equivalent store bought, fibreglass boat, that is heavier, slower and not as pretty has a starting retail price of around $1400.00 .

To build a boat, any boat, with your son is a very special thing. The two of you will bond like you wouldn't believe and you will share a sense of achievement together when it is done. You will be building much more than a boat. Go for it mate. Opportunities like this come along once in a lifetime.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Pondering,

Hand tools needed are a drill (electric drill is OK, long ways from needed), saw (I prefer the Japanese hand saw), razor knife or utility knife. Only power tool you really need is a power sander. An orbital sander will save nearly a hundred hours of work. Unless you plan to reincarnate the Karate Kid, get this one power tool.

Time saved with a power saw isn't all that much. And if you're building with your Son - a hand saw lets him in on the action with much less risk. (And, less money.) Same with the hand drill.

Anyway, that's my experience. Others have different experience and advice.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Pondering

Post by Pondering »

Thanks for all the encouragement.
hairymick wrote:G'day Pondering,

Welcome aboard mate.

If you are planning on paddling mostly calm backwaters and small lakes & streams etc. i would recommend you consider a pirogue as your first build.
That seems like good advice. I knew what a canoe was but I hadn't looked at pirogue designs just because I didn't know what a pirogue was. I'm really just looking for a simple paddling type boat design. Simpler and quicker will work out better for our first project. The easier the first boat is to build will go a long way to encourage us to try something more complicated the next time, which is really something I'd like to be able to do.

My son and I will be doing the building but I'd like to have something large enough that it would be able to hold two adults and two children(really 3 adults and one child -- my 13 year old is now taller than I am). These are the boats that I've looked at:

16' Pirogue
http://www.boatplans.dk/boat_plans.asp?id=28
Pirogue 14-29
http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php ... rogue14-29
Pirogue 500
http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Pirogue500
Swamp Girl
http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=SG
Touring Pirogue
http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php ... ourPirogue

Although the Swamp Girl is by far, in my opinion, the nicest looking of the bunch, it seems a little more complicated and after reading the descriptions it seems like the 16' Pirogue is the only one that could hold our family of 4. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement and please let me know if I'm missing any other pirogue designs.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'd say it's between the Pirogue 500 and the DK pirogue 16.

Quick suggestion: You could do like the 14-29 very quick and easy. Then go for a canoe afterward. A canoe like the DK Touring canoe or Townsend might fit you family better.
-Matt. Designer.