Dan's DK18

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
davaodan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Dan's DK18

Post by davaodan »

Shown here is the stern transom reinforcement. There are three layers of 9mm plywood in addition to the transom thickness to help distribute the forces from the motor. This four layer sandwich distributes the forces to the bottom, sides and the previous frame once all the panels are put in place and fiberglassed. The frame in front of the transom is also reinforced with a seat that you can see in the second picture.
ImageImage

Dan in Davao
davaodan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by davaodan »

It has been awhile since I've posted my work, which has been slow. I received a hatch and some hinges so I can start on my seat storage. The space in front of the front seat hatch is reserved for flotation, a truck tire tube I think. The front flotation is 60 liters and I with the tube this should provide enough flotation for the bow. The engine well has about 150 liters of sealed volume that should be adequate for the remaining flotation needs. I will measure the tube volume after seeing how much space it can occupy in the bow seat.
You can also see that I have installed the outside railing.
The seat hatches will have stiffeners. The inwhale will also help overall hull stiffness. I have not weighed it lately but I am pretty sure it will be more than 100 kilos. I need to haul this boat out after each use. I did pour a mooring weight with a chain embedded in it so I can moor it for awhile.
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

Here is the motor well drain. In the background you can see some of my preparation for the sun shade.

And the inwale. Next is the sun shade.
ImageImage

Dan in Davao
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

It has been quite a while since I've been able to post my progress. Two weeks ago I had my colon removed so that has slowed things even more. My houseboy assistant has been helping me with the boat so he has picked up some skills that allow us to continue. I think with this arrangement of keel and runners any bottom flexing will be minimized.
You can see the keel here and it is about 1.5 inches wide by 1.5 inches high. The runners are the same width but only 1 inch high. The glass cloth will easily hold this in place. I have decided against using any kind of metal strip on the keel and runners. If there is excessive wear I can easily plane a new smooth surface and add another piece of wood to replace the worn areas.
The keel and runners at the stern look capable too.
ImageImage
You might notice that the port runner in not yet glassed. We should be able to finish that today.

The sunshade is complete and after epoxy primer and paint have been applied on the bottom we will turn it over and assemble the shade. It should look really good. A very good fishing platform for me here. I am getting excited about launch day!

Dan in Davao
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

I'm getting excited too! Thats almost a ship compared to most on here, but yet it still looks magnificent, bravo! Sorry to hear about your colon, but at least now you have no need to go to the toilet therefore can put more time into using your boat.

Ok was kidding sorry to hear of your travails, at least though it seems not to be keeping you from whats important in life. That includes everything thats not to do with work. That boat is an important part of the recovery process: use it well :D Can't wait for you to get it out of the shed and to see some side on photos.
Regards John.
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

Here are some of the final pictures of my boat. I will be posting some more when I get the boat moved to Samal. Unfortunately that will be awhile as my friend just went back to the US for a month or so. He will tow my boat when he returns.
This is the final epoxy coating for the bottom.
Lacking just the final trim paint and the hatch covers I pulled the boat out on to the lawn.
ImageImage
Views of interior.
This boat was fun and challenging to build. The best yet!

Dan in Davao
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

That is a nice looking boat Dan. Good Job!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Very Nice!! 8)
-Matt. Designer.
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

I just weighed the boat this afternoon, first I lifted the bow and put a bathroom scale under it and it came to 35 kilos, then the stern was lifted and the same scale inserted read 66 kilos. I had to read it with a mirror as it was hard to read under the flat bottom. Together the weights add up to 101 kilos. I am very happy with that weight. Four people will be able to easily lift it in and out of the water.

I haven't been able to test the side boarding ladder yet but I too am hoping it will work because I can use the sunshade support to ease my way in. That same post also carries the Pinoyboats.org burghee. If that doesn't work I will have to build a stern boarding ladder. My oars are sanded and waiting for paint. They are 8 feet long and a bit heavy. I think I will need the length because of the high freeboard of the DK18. I can always shorten them or add inboard weight to counterbalance.

The delay in final launch is bugging me. Better safe than sorry though, so I will wait for my friend to return from the US to tow me. I hesitate to do a 40 kilometer solo run on an untested motor that has not been broken in.

Dan in Davao
davaodan

Post by davaodan »

I gave up waiting for a tow to my beach house so yesterday I rented a truck and brought the boat to the Sta Ana pier here in Davao and put the boat in the water. Put the new 8 horse motor on and went off at half speed on my 40 kilometer ride. I went half speed because the outboard needs to be broken in.

I was apprehensive about taking a brand new outboard without backup on a trip like this, but everything worked out. The boat planes at 12 kph and the 8 hp will go as fast as 20 kph or about 10 knots. I think it took about two gallons of fuel for the trip so it should be very economical. Pictures will follow.