DK 11' J-Skiff Question

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
hct236
Type of boat I like: J Skiff

DK 11' J-Skiff Question

Post by hct236 »

The 11' J-Skiff Drawing number 1003-03 {side panel front part) shows a dotted line set in 26 [1] from the edge. My question is; what does this dotted line represent? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: DK 11' J-Skiff Question

Post by jem »

possibly a reference to a frame or seat location?
-Matt. Designer.
hct236
Type of boat I like: J Skiff

Post by hct236 »

jem wrote:possibly a reference to a frame or seat location?
no, its a vertical line well past the last frame or seat location at the end where the two sides come together at the front
davaodan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by davaodan »

Hi HCT,

I have the 11' J-Skiff plans too and I see what you are talking about. I also thought to check the plans for the 18 dinghy and they too have the dotted line running straight (not vertical) across the curved portion of the plywood where it meets at the bow. And since I also have the plans for the 13' J-Skiff I checked those plans and the same 'side panel front part' and drawing 10003-3 also include the straight line across the curved line at the bow.

I've built the 18' Dinghy and I guess I just ignored the dotted line (as I suspect you also did) and never even thought to ask what the dotted line means. If you haven't already you may want to ask Morten Olesen directly at his email address mo@boatplans.dk.

If you found out what the straight dotted line means please tell us here. In the Garvey flex there are dotted lines at the stern and bow 5/8" in from the drawn ends that indicate that the plywood may be that much long than necessary. The 12' Garvey Flex has a dotted line running 5/8" parallel from the both the front and the back of the side panel indicating that the length of that piece may vary by 5/8" for a correct fit. While it is a dotted line it probably does not indicate the same thing as the skiffs.

How is the 11' J-Skiff performing? Are you pleased with it? I am building the 12' Garvey flex right now and both of the J-Skiffs were on my short list to construct.

Dan in Davao, Philippines
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

I'm wondering why this has not been answered by Morten,Maybe he is away
Cridgie down under
Boatplans.dk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Boatplans.dk »

The dotted line represent a straight line from the top and bottom edges of the panel. You simply mark the line on the panel and use it as a reference to draw the curve of the bow. The dimension shown are the maximum curvature at the middle of the straight line.
Morten Olesen - Boatplans.dk
Blog: http://BoatBuildingArticles.com/

Check out my author page at Amazon and browse for boat building books: http://www.boatplans.dk/news.asp?news=amazon