21' Garvey Flex

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
clink
Type of boat I like: 21 Garvey Flex.

21' Garvey Flex

Post by clink »

I'm considering building the Garvey 21 Flex; however, there doesn't appear to be very much data on the design/boat. Or, no photos or builders who can comment on construction or its performance post construction. Is there anyone out there who can assist? :?:
davaodan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: 21' Garvey Flex

Post by davaodan »

Hi Clink,

Have you built any boats using this type of construction? Before building my DK18 I built two smaller simple boats and that gave me the experience and confidence to begin the DK18. Morten's instructions are complete and with careful attention you should have no problems building this boat. I have the plans for this boat too but it is too heavy and big to fit my beach with its coral.

If I could get it in and out of the water with any ease I would have built this 21' Garvey Flex as it would more easily handle the sea conditions here. Just measure twice at least and understand what you are doing and you should do OK.

Morten's design of the DK18 has shown itself well able to handle the 6-8 foot seas I've been in so far. No wave splash enters the boat and it bobs like a cork. The bottom hull shape appears to be quite similar to the DK18 so it should behave in a similar manner if not better for it's size.

Good luck

Dan in Davao
clink
Type of boat I like: 21 Garvey Flex.

Re: 21' Garvey Flex

Post by clink »

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes. I have constructed 3 boats utilizing, stitch & glue, composite, and combination there of. The 3 boats were from different designers and as one might expect, there is a vast difference in plans. Also, I found, with great dissatisfaction, that some boats (post construction) don't perform as advertised. Case in point, after investing a huge amount of time and dollars in building a boat designed from one of the popular on-line designers, the boat had and has a terrible chine trip. Wrote the designer through the forum and another builder posted the same comments and subsequently the designer pulled and re-designed the boat.

So, post construction performance is important. Support during construction is very important also and if builders are available to offer advise, it makes the project flow more easily. I'm in the middle of of building a 22' aluminum semi-v bay boat and once complete will be looking for another project. I prefer working with wood and due diligence in the research of the vessel is part of the construction process.