Daytrip - Touring Canoe Information?

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
Skylane182

Daytrip - Touring Canoe Information?

Post by Skylane182 »

Hey, are there any other builders of these canoes other than the ones listed on the Boatplans.dk website? Matt's review makes them seem a little sensitive and not recomended for beginner paddlers? I'd like some more info on these as im looking to build my first canoe. Thanks !
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I imagine there's lots of builders around. Morten's free canoe plans are linked to in a few locations around the web. Problem is they all may not read this forum.

One item to mention: I put the seats about 10" off the floor. Had they been lower, the canoe would be a little more stable but maybe a little harder to paddle.
-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

Ah ok, i'll have to look at the plans to see where they have the seats placed. looking at the website with the new pics show the touring canoe with FIVE adults aboard??!!...wow
Skylane182

Post by Skylane182 »

forgot to log in above
thanks
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I hadn't looked at that picture. Wow! That is a lot of people in a canoe!

The 18' version has some nice hauling capacity. 8)
-Matt. Designer.
Skylane182

Post by Skylane182 »

Really, theres actually two side by side in the center. If it was built per plans, that looks pretty stable to me, plus it looks like some if not all seat tops are flush with the top sheer of the hull?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Best thing to do is build it without seats, get everything covered with at least 2 coats of epoxy, then take it out with some buckets or things of different heights to sit on.

See what feels the best to you and then install your seats.
-Matt. Designer.
Skylane182

Post by Skylane182 »

That sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Mortensen just updated his site (www.boatpalns.dk) today and added some of my pictures for the Day tripper (15 ft version) . I also have a site with the first 7 days of my build on it. Keeping my site up to date proved harder than buildong the boat. :)

www.errington.org

I found the boat very stable fun to paddle. it definately requires a good fore & aft balance to paddle it straight though. I found that my big weight aft and my light son up forward caused a drafting that steered more on my strokes. My son's strokes had less affect than they should have.

Over all looking forward to a good summer of paddling next year.

Post by Guest »

Sorry wasn't logged in when I posted the previous.

John