Yoke Mounting

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
banoe

Yoke Mounting

Post by banoe »

HI, Down loaded your yoke plans, just wondering do you mount a yoke in the center of a canoe (balance point) or should it be mounted slightly foward or aft of balance point? Should i adjust center of yoke width to my shoulders? Where should points of yoke sit when placed on shoulders?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

It's a matter of personal taste. Some like it right in the middle, some like it just forward of center.

If you go with just forward of center, the aft of the boat will tilt back allowing you to see what's in front of you better. If you go the route, attach a line to the bow so you can hold it in your hand to control how much the bow tilts up.

The shape of the yoke over your shoulderd is a matter of personal comfort. The plans are from a general purpose yoke. Nothing fancy. You could add some low density closed cell foam for comfort.

I have a seat hanger system I'm working on with a bench seat the converts to a very comfortable yoke. Waiting to get the prototype seat back from a friend in Florida before I can proceed with that though.
-Matt. Designer.