Plywood questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
ross61
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Plywood questions

Post by ross61 »

Hi Matt,

First, I am planning my build of the Townsend and Escape. I have decided to build two Escapes. Should I just order another set of plans, send a check for the other one or what?

Second, In my ongoing search for marine plywood anywhere near me (Milwaukee, WI), I am still coming up with nothing AAAAARRRGGHH!! The shipping costs for such a small amount are outrageous, so I am looking at other options. On my FL14 I used ACX Exterior, but I spent alot of time filling voids and what is available right now looks inferior to what I previously got. I did find some OK looking luan, no or few visible voids, but the outer plies are pretty thin. Do you think I would be OK with this if I sheathed the outside of the hull with light cloth - 4oz? I am worried a little about making them too heavy to be worth the trouble. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. What if I used Eurolite? - The lower cost might make the total with shipping a little more bearable, although it will p me off to know I will have paid same or more for eurolite that I could have paid for okume, if it was avalable locally. Sorry to ramble - thanks,

Ross
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The general rule is you are "licensed" to build one boat per set of plans. But since you bought 2 sets at once, go ahead and build the 2 Escapes. But you owe me some pictures!!! :D

I'd build one Escape first and paddle it before you build a second just to be sure it's something you'd like to build 2 of. Get some cheap plywood or hardboard and make the panel templates, use it for the first yak, and save for the second.

Eurolite (poplar) plywood: I used it for a kayak. It's light but very soft and does not bend well. I personally would not use it again for a kayak or canoe.

Plywood: 2 sources that might be able to help: www.harborsales.com and Noah's Marine for shipping plywood.

There's used to be a couple places in your neck of the woods called Kettle Moraine Hardwoods and Norton Boat Works. Not sure if they sell Okoume or are even still open. There's a West Marine on Layton Ave. They might know where to get some.

I'm working with a local supplier to see about CNC cutting the panels from Oukome and offering for sale but that project is slow in development.

Luan is ok as long as it's exterior grade. There's some stuff called "underlayment" that's not suppose to have voids but lots of times it doesn't have the exterior glue. Make sure you ask the retailer.
-Matt. Designer.
ross61
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by ross61 »

OK,

Thanks for the tips. I had not tried KMH because someone I know said they do not sell plywood. Called him again today and he recanted, saying he was not so sure. I will continue the search for local stuff, otherwise luan it is. - Thanks again Matt, will send pics as soon as building begins.

Ross