First timer questions about plywood and such

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Charlie

First timer questions about plywood and such

Post by Charlie »

I am currently boatless...a bad thing for a fisherman, apparently. I don't want to buy what I could build. I think the mini pontoon boat best fits my situation, but I have some basic questions first.

Plywood...is that marine ply or basic off-the-shelf-buy-it-at-Lowe's plywood? I live in Charleston, SC so marine materials are a-plenty.

I am military (ie move every so often) so I need to know how to transport the old girl when she's done. Do I pay for a custom trailor? I don't live on the water, so the transportation will also serve as storage.

If the wife can't put up with me talking about it and gives me the green light, I'll have more questions no doubt.

Thanks,

Charlie
Charlie

I've been member-ized

Post by Charlie »

Okay, I'm legal now.

Charlie
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: First timer questions about plywood and such

Post by jem »

Charlie wrote:I am currently boatless...a bad thing for a fisherman, apparently. I don't want to buy what I could build. I think the mini pontoon boat best fits my situation, but I have some basic questions first.

Plywood...is that marine ply or basic off-the-shelf-buy-it-at-Lowe's plywood? I live in Charleston, SC so marine materials are a-plenty.

I am military (ie move every so often) so I need to know how to transport the old girl when she's done. Do I pay for a custom trailor? I don't live on the water, so the transportation will also serve as storage.

If the wife can't put up with me talking about it and gives me the green light, I'll have more questions no doubt.

Thanks,

Charlie
You could get exterior grade plywood from Lowes. Getting good quality could be an issue. I'd say go with Meranti or Okoume.

For transport, you could just flip it over and put it on a flat bed trailer. I've been thinking about developing a take-a-part version but those plans would not be free.
-Matt. Designer.