DK Touring Canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Russell2005

DK Touring Canoe

Post by Russell2005 »

I just finished building my canoe from the free plans downloaded online. I really appreciate that. And I'm happy with the way it turned out. It went together quickly!

I'm a little concerned though with the strength of the bottom of the hull. I don't know if it will hold my weight. (220 lbs) I constructed it using 1/4" plywood. I glassed the bottom of the hull and the joints on the sides overlapping about 2". (I didnt glass the entire exterior of the hull and I didnt glass the interior of the hull at all) Also, I left out the supports for the interior as they were shown. Instead I used 2 thwarts and a yoke in the center. Now it occurs to me that maybe those supports were not only to support the sides of the hull, but the bottom as well.

The hull itself seems pretty strong due to the thwarts and yoke giving it rigidity. The bottom seems a little flimsy to me.

Do I need to glass the hull entirely inside and out for this design to work?
Or do you think it will be OK as is?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Those internal frames are meant to provide strength to the bottom. Adding glass will help improve the stiffness.

You could also glue a series of flat-bar-type ribs to help add some strength. Maybe 4-5 of them spaced about 12" apart.
-Matt. Designer.
Russell2005

Pictures of the finished canoe

Post by Russell2005 »

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Russ,

that is a very nice looking boat you built there! Your color scheme reminds me of the old wood & canvas canoes I learned in.

I like that. Matt, would Sitbackers fit on his seats?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Kayak Jack wrote:Russ,

that is a very nice looking boat you built there! Your color scheme reminds me of the old wood & canvas canoes I learned in.

I like that. Matt, would Sitbackers fit on his seats?
oh yea! Paddle in comfort.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... =SitBacker
-Matt. Designer.