question about epoxy

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jheger
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

question about epoxy

Post by jheger »

What is the differences between silver tip epoxy, system 3 epoxy and the epoxy you can buy from Raka. By difference I mean other than price. Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

System Three has 2 types:

- General Purpose - Like the name says, multi use, good at many applications, not perfect for any one

- Silver Tip - The premium version with no amine blush issues, supposed to wet out fiberglass better

Raka: Raka has a general purose resin but they also have a premium line as well. I've found Raka's general purpose to be just about as good as the Sys Three general purpose. For the price, it's the best value.
-Matt. Designer.
barefoot dave
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

question about epoxy

Post by barefoot dave »

Before I pull the card out to order more plans from Matt, go to

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm

Vaclav at One Ocean Kayaks did a pretty go write up and will probably answer most of your questions.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I should also mention, JEM Watercraft has partnered up with www.epoxyproducts.com .

The have no-blush marine epoxy and JEM Customers get a discount by ordering directly with them.

They have so much stuff on their site, it might be easier to give Paul Oman a call directly at (603) 435 - 7199 . Tell him you're a JEM customer and which plans you bought, and he'll hook you up.

I've used thier epoxy and it's very nice. 100% clear so you can tint it or keep it clear and the wood will look the exact same color as it does without any coating. Most epoxies have a light amber tint. It's a matter of personal preference.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

VERY nice variety of products! Epoxy paints, non-skid stuff, etc. Nice
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.