Wasn't sure where to post..

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
YakAtak
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Wasn't sure where to post..

Post by YakAtak »

Hi guys,
Another Aussie yaker, Mick told me to sign in and say g'day as I've been talkin about building a boat of some sort for a while. Hope to learn much and realise my dream of building my own pirogue or similar. From what I've seen of Mick's projects, the Jem boats come up very well, looking forward to some more reading.
Cheers, Karl.
Last edited by YakAtak on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Karl, :D

Welcome aboard mate. Another one to the dark side. :lol: My work has just begun. :twisted:

I love it here & I think you will too. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Cheers Mick, I'm keen to get this project happening, it's just a matter of having the room to do it, has anyone attempted this sort of project without having space in doors? I expect to be moving before christmas and don't like my chances of having a nice big shed to lay sheets out and stand sewn bits for lengthy periods of time.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I saw some pictures of an enclosure a builder built out of PVC pipe and a tarp. Seemed to work out pretty good for building a boat.

I believe it was Advark on southernpaddler.com . I'll try and find that post.
-Matt. Designer.
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Hmm, ok I have seen some cheap car covers that might be about the right size, same concept as you say, with poles and tarps, might have to see if I can get one big enough, christ knows I won't have to worry too much about rain. :roll:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:I saw some pictures of an enclosure a builder built out of PVC pipe and a tarp. Seemed to work out pretty good for building a boat.

I believe it was Advark on southernpaddler.com . I'll try and find that post.
Matt....
I checked the forum and all of Art's pictures on that project are gone. My guess is that the folks (server) he was using to post them shut down shop or he let it go.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Stateside, we have what sells as "temporary garages". this may have been the PVC-aluminum pole-plastic tarp arrangement you are thinking of. Sell for about $210 US, assemble in about 1/2 hour. Sides roll up for ventilation.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

Thanks guys, it's food for thought. :D
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Karl,
Supercheap have those de-mountable car port thingies for a couple of hundred bucks. About 6 metres long X 3 wide with the tarp covering the top & sides. Might do the trick.

Failing that, you could go bush, knock off half a dozen saplings & stand em in ya back yard and throw some cheap tarps over them. if you were closer, I would help you.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
YakAtak

Post by YakAtak »

:lol: You're an ideas man Mick.
I don't know that my Mum would be too keen on your idea, but I reckon the demountable might be the go, so long as we don't get any storms like the one we had on wednesday last week. :oops: