Questions about paint...

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
buildingacanoe

Questions about paint...

Post by buildingacanoe »

Hey,

Dunno if any of you remember me, but i'm building the free canoe design for my first boat (but i already sense that i've been bitten, already looking at plans even though my first isnt done!)

I have all the pieces cut out and i'm going to start epoxying soon, and i was just thinking about painting it. I hear that it makes the epoxy last longer, and that is a definite plus. I just have several questions

1. What kind of paint do I need and where can i get it?

2. (kind of a dumb question) does it come in clear?

3. how much will i need?

4. will i need to coat the inside also?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm pretty sure i'm addicted to building boats now.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I never have painted one but use a good (High rated UV) varnish to protect the epoxy and glass. Both inside and outside of the boat.

Paint would offer more protection since the UV rays would never get through the paint to the epoxy or glass. This brings up the idea of a clear paint ... Sounds like something that would not work to good for what you want. I am thinking you would be better off with the varnish in place of the clear paint.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Questions about paint...

Post by jem »

buildingacanoe wrote:
1. What kind of paint do I need and where can i get it?
Cheap and effective: Porch paint from Lowes, Home Depot, Etc. Not as tough as marine paint but far cheaper and easier to touch up.

buildingacanoe wrote:2. (kind of a dumb question) does it come in clear?
Not a dumb question. Porch paint doesn't come in clear but marine grade paint does. System Three makes a LPU paint that comes in clear. Tougher than marine varnish. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com has an extensive line. Also check out www.epoxyproducts.com for paints they have.

Note: There's some other if you look around the web. I don't allow links to them because of business reasons.

buildingacanoe wrote:3. how much will i need?
Lot depends on if you prime, color you choose, etc. 1-2 quarts minimum.

buildingacanoe wrote:4. will i need to coat the inside also?
yes

buildingacanoe wrote:Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm pretty sure i'm addicted to building boats now.
this is a good thing. :P
-Matt. Designer.