questions about the sot16

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
langdon

questions about the sot16

Post by langdon »

Hi Matt,

I found your site from one of your postings on the bateau forums. I have a few questions about the SOT16 that I hope you can answer.

1. I'm mainly interested in fishing the California coast, the SF bay/Marin area mostly. Do you think this is a good choice for launching through the surf, maybe up to 3 feet? Would it be stable enough to fish from in the swell?

2. With #1 in mind, what would the best plywood to use? I assume that I would want to glass the entire hull if I built it from 4mm marine ply, but would it need to be glassed inside also? I could see glassing the inside bottom, but I can't see how I would manage glassing the inside of the decks and the cockpit/tankwell floors. If I were to use 1/4in ab exterior ply, would that change anything?

3. Approximately how much fiberglass/epoxy (and what weight/width) is required for whatever you recommend in #2?

4. Do you have any opinion on the quality/suitability of the epoxy/fiberglass from this company: http://www.tapplastics.com/? I only ask because they're local and it would save on the shipping costs, if it's equivalent to the other major brands.

5. I've seen references on the bateau forums to pages on your site that look like they've been moved (the link in this thread: http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4390, for example, which purports to be a log of the building of the cape fear). Are these pages still available? The internet archive copy (http://web.archive.org/web/200402121052 ... torial.php) only goes as far as making the butt joints. My brother and I built a Teal last year, but I'd still be interested in seeing this if it's still around.

I think that's it, I look forward to seeing your response. Thanks for your help!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Greetings,

I moved websites from jem.e-boat or over to this one so I have reload that tutorial. I got a nice contract to design a new kind of fishing boat mold for an investor down in Texas. That's been eating up my time but I'll get that tutuorial up on this site soon.

The Cape Fear SOT was designed for my personal use on lakes around here in Greensboro, NC. She VERY stable. More so than I imagined. I had her out on the lakes in 18mph winds. Doesn't come close to ocean chop but it was a rough mix of waves about 12" it short internvals. So I got slapped around pretty good.

I found it bobbed on top of the waves when paddling out. Made it harder to control direction than I would have cared for. But it didn't feel tippy when I wasn't paddling but it moved a lot since it has a lot of primary stability. So for launching through the surf and to fish from in the swell, I'd say no for this one being a good boat.

However! I have a new SOT coming out that I think would perform well in that situation. Very close to the Tarpon by Wilderness Systems.

A precut plywood and epoxy kit is already set to be purchase from Eric at Rainbow boats. I just haven't had time to finish off the instructions. I've come up with a new format for plans and instructions that makes things much easier and more precise to follow. You don't have to know how to read nautical or mechanical drawings. Very straightforward. They are more time consuming to develop but worth it.

Best plywood choice for the CF SOT is Okuome. It's light and durable. If using 4mm throughout, you should glass the bottom panels inside and out. With the CF, you build the hull then modify for the SOT version. So glassing the inside panels is not a problem. The build instruction show what has to be glassed.

The new SOT has a different design method. 4mm throughout and glassing the entire out is optional because of the design. If you wanted to, you'd have to glass the inside panels with patches of cloth but again, not required. With this one, use 4mm throughout and just tape the seams for the main hull. You could use a layer of 4-ounce on the bottom for extra abrassion resistence.

Using ab exterior ply would make your boat in the 80 pound range for the CF SOT.

I've never heard of that company before so I can't offer any opinion. I can look into getting System Three products drop shipped from WA. It would save you some, but not much overall. E-mail me direct for a quote if you seriously want to pursue that.
-Matt. Designer.
langdon

Post by langdon »

Thanks for the response! Sounds like I'd be better off waiting, I'll keep an eye on the site for the new design.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It'll be a couple more weeks at least. I have a "New Plans available" annoucement list you can sign up for on the main site.

No spam, no sharing/selling your address, etc, etc.

I'll also post updates in the forum.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

Matt,

How are those Sabalo plans looking for your Dec. 6 roll out? There on my Christmas list!! :D

Mark
markhoutx

Post by markhoutx »

That was me above.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Still waiting for a couple of quotes for the building materials and precut kits. But the plans are ready to mail. Tonight I'll be sending out the copies to the 4 builders who have pre-purchased.

Price will be going up to $55 once I get a chance to update the web page this weekend. I'll honor the $40 pre-list price for orders placed before Sunday (Dec 4th 2004) @ midnight Eastern.

Once I get some pictures, then the price will go up to the full price of $69. And there's a $69 rebate (even if you only paid $40) to the first builder who sends me pictures of one built and in action. $35 after that.

In the boat plans business, pictures = Sales $.

Spread the word! Order while it's cheap! :P
-Matt. Designer.