Dk touring progress and questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Dear Building,

The fiberglass that wrinkled up on that butt joint is easy to prevent. Get a piece of plexiglass about 1/16" thick and lay on top of it. That will hold things flat and nice while it cures out.

That orange peel and alligator skin on the flat surface looks like temperature change got to your work. Maybe from too much epoxy and then subsequent heat build up? Maybe cold? I couldn't tell. And, of course, I may be wrong about it all too. Matt is more expert than me. (Not nearly as good looking or humble, though).
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
buildingacanoe

Post by buildingacanoe »

i think you could be right abuot the alligator skin, i had this outside in the garage where nightime temp drops probably affected it. I moved it into my basement now where i can heat it up. Also the alligator skin was probably because i put a plastic bag on top of it, the wrinkly supermarket stlye bag and it didnt contact the epoxy everywhere. When my dad gets up today we'll be puttying more joints, then fiberglassing maybe tommorow when the putty stuff dries.