Fiberglass

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Hank
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Fiberglass

Post by Hank »

Hi -

I'm continuing my e-investigation in preparation for making myself a boat. I've gone over to Raka and browsed the fiberglass selection. Based on reading in the various sections of the forum, it sounds like I want to get 6oz fiberglass tape and cloth for covering everything up. But, there are multiple more than one kind of each listed.

Cloth:
Plain Weave
100% WARP

Tape:
Biaxial Stitched
Woven

Other than 100% WARP and Biaxial Stitched costing more than their counterparts, is there any particular reason why I would choose one variety over the other?

Thanks,
- Hank
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm unfamiliar with !00% warp. I thought there had to be a woof going back and forth the other way too?

I'd strongly advise the plain weave over tight weave. Tight weave has a nasty habit of trying to creep back to original shape if you've worked it around the inner curves of a hull. This creates bad wrinkles and bumps. AARRGGHH!!
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hi -

I was going to default to the cheaper stuff. But was willing to be convinced that the extra money would be well-spent. I am, though, going to use luan plywood for Boat #1 (yes, I'm assuming it'll be #1 of a series). If I screw it up somehow and have to start over then I won't be throwing away $50 per sheet ply. And if the luan isn't pretty enough, Boat #2 can be the expensive one.

- Hank
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Look for blanks and voids in the luan. Using a plastic syringe filled with epoxy, fill them.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I use the Luann and epoxy saturate it ..... The epoxy saturates the wood and in turn increases the woods strength 4 times. It also protects the wood if a ding , scratch or something makes it thru the fiberglass to the wood.

The saturation is done just before you glass the boat , this way the wood is still pliable (flexible) and you can work with it while putting the panels together to make the boat.

Later when you start the boat construction we can talk about this process in greater detail and how to do it.

If you , and you will , have any questions then there is this web site to help you and if it becomes necessary there is another web site with a bunch of nuts on it and they build wood boats ... mine. There is a lot of help for anyone who wants it between the two web sites , I think you will get the answers you want on this one of Matt's.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The 100% warp refers to the the way the cloth is woven and strength.

For a first time project, I'd stick with the plain weave. Different warps and weaves can make the cloth more difficult to deal with.
-Matt. Designer.
Hank

Post by Hank »

I did find the Old Sparky Forum. I'm TheOtherHank over there since somebody on that board stole my name :wink:. I am quite certain I'll be asking many questions during the building process.

- Hank
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Hank wrote:... I am quite certain I'll be asking many questions during the building process.
Ask away, Hank. Your answers are:

1. Tuesdays, after 3:00pm,

2. One new set of tires, and

3. Yes she did, twice.
Kayak Jack