Getting the boat true

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Hank
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Getting the boat true

Post by Hank »

Time for Hank's Next Question:

Let's say I've got the boat all stitched up and before I fillet (I think I'm using that word correctly) I want to make sure that the boat is straight/true/not bent like a question mark. I've seen a post either here at Sparky's where you put a couple of long sticks or PVC pipes cross-wise on the boat and see if they look level relative to one another. Diagonal measurements are another way to check.

So lets assume that the boat needs to adjusted a bit to get it in alignment. How do I do that and get it to stay that way until the epoxy/wood flour mix has set? Grab one end and start twisting and hope for the best?

Thanks,
- Hank
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Good Question..........

BUT.... You have answered your own question............. The human eye's can judge a distance that is off by 1/32 of an inch.

Since I have one good eye and one bad one ... I am guessing my sight measurements is 1/16th of an inch :oops: but you know what ... the boats still float and folks like the looks of them.

OK.. Back to how to do it........
Get the boat where it looks right since it is not glued (epoxyed on the seams so can be adjusted ) then when it is right do some spot epoxying on some of the seams ( I call it spot welding ) recheck it after the spot welding to make sure it is correct , if it is not right then readjust it ( if necessary) and let the epoxy set up , when the epoxy cures , compleat the job.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The instruction detail a couple different steps to take. Measuring diagonals and holding in place on top of level saw horses usually does the trick.
-Matt. Designer.
Hank
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Hank »

Thanks for the responses. I figured the instructions would have some guidance, but I'm trying to visualize the process before actually having any knowledge. :o
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Example of how frames are used with measuring diagonals.

-Matt. Designer.