What's the difference between Okouma and Meranti plywood?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

What's the difference between Okouma and Meranti plywood?

Post by mud »

I can get Meranti for $15.04 a sheet. Okoume has to be ordered and is pricey.

Read somewhere that Meranti was stiffer. That so?

First attempt at cobbling together a boat. Am a woodbutcher from way back though. Have plans for the BUC X-tra.

Had some setbacks at getting started, but seem to be on track now.

If that Meranti stuff is nearly as good then it suits the budget better.

Thanks for any input, sure could use it.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

If you are comparing marine grade Meranti to marine grade Okoume (both to BS1088), one difference is about 6 Lbs a sheet. A 4x8 4mm thick Meranti panel is 19 Lbs, a 4x8 4mm thick Okoume panel is 13.2 Lbs.

Other than that I have no idea if Meranti would work in your application.

But I do know that if you can get marine grade Meranti for $15.04 a sheet, I am driving up there to get me some. :lol: I can find it for $34.20 a sheet, Okoume is $51.45.

DM
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Meranti is a around 20% heavier than Okoume. It has a slight strength advantage, but not much. It's a darker color.

I believe the least thick Meranti you can get is 6mm.
-Matt. Designer.
craig vail

Post by craig vail »

I agree $15.04 a sheet is a steal for marine grade. Please let us know your source. The best I can get in the upstate is $ 15.00 a sheet from Wurth Supply for ( Meranti / luan ) exterior grade ply . They used to be Greenville Spartanburg Hardwood center. This material is still better than the 1/4" luan from Lowes or the HD.

Wurth supplies a lot of the cabinet shops in the area. They have branches up and down the east coast.

Craig
mud

maybe a misquote then?

Post by mud »

I got the quote for $15.04 from Northland Forest Products. I'll call tomorrow to make sure that it wasn't for exterior plywood.

I did specifically ask for marine plywood when I asked for the price.

Thanks -