What about birch?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Hank
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

What about birch?

Post by Hank »

Hi -

I was wandering about my local lumber emporium seeing what kind of plywood I could transmogrify into a canoe. This particular place had 3 (!) kinds of plywood: fir, birch, and luan (lauan?). I don't think I'll build a boat out of pine, but what about birch? It's a bit more expensive than the luan, but no where near the okoume prices I've seen quoted.

- Hank
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

it has a tendency to check (get small cracks) as plywood. I think it's a bit heavier too but I'd have to research to be sure.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

I'll go and say it before Jack or Chuck.

For what its worth, the Indians (American) made canoes out of the bark.

Never heard of anybody using birch plywood for a boat, doesn't mean it cant be done. Never seen birch plywood on any of the sites that sell boat building panels.

DM
JC

Post by JC »

Well did you use the Birch and how did it workout?
I'm thining of using it.

jc
Hank

Post by Hank »

In my slow motion manner I am working toward a Merrimac. I searched around where I live and found a local supplier for okoume plywood and went with that. So, I have no idea how it would work. Based on JEM's comment above, I would guess that if the panels didn't have a lot of twist and you built a boat that wasn't too subject oil-canning, it would probably work.

- Hank
zeb

Post by zeb »

John uses birch ply on His canoes at www.birchcanoes.com
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

While it's OK with me no matter what a person uses. I'll remain with the Okoume because it works so well. Besides, after I worked a few months to learn how to spell it, I HAVE to stick with it now.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

plywood

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

The most important thing seems to be the equality of the plies. If all you're buying is two 1/64th" veneers, sandwiching one 7/32nd " center, then you'll probably be disappointed in the results.
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

The most important thing seems to be the equality of the plies. If all you're buying is two 1/64th" veneers, sandwiching one 7/32nd " center, then you'll probably be disappointed in the results.
This is all I have used up till now, only my thickness was 1/8" overall and the results were OK.

3 genuine layers of ply stuck together with genuine marine grade glue would be better. I will only be using the good stuff from now on. Compared to the price of epoxy and glass, the ply is a fairly small investment and it is well worth spending that little extra on the wood IMHO.

The difference for me, in a 3 sheet boat in price of ply, is only about AUD $80.00. A three sheet boat, costs me around AUD$500. to build using premium epoxy and glass in total. I would much rather spend the extra $80.00 now and be confident my boat will last a lifetime and have a much easier build in the process., than try to save that $80.oo and struggle in the build.

It is much easier to work, has a prettier finish, will last longer and doesn't tend to bend up while in storage nearly as much as the cheap stuff.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

I've used it. Like jem said, the birch ply tends to check a little when its bent and twisted. If you intend to put glass on the outside, it should be just fine. If you don't put glass on all of it and just skin it with epoxy, your probably going to have problems with it later. The only other thing I can think of to tell you is that if you sand the wood at all it turns a really light color and very noticeable if you intend to finish it natural.

Just my two cents.
I make stuff up!