The right sander?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

The right sander?

Post by mud »

I read a lot about the time & trouble of sanding and fairing these boats.

What kind of sanders?

I use a Rockwell 333 random orbit at work. What do you use in the tight areas where this type of sander won't reach, Armstrong?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

in the tight spots, a block of wood or your fingers behind some sandpaper is sometimes all that will reach. I've tried the detail sanders and they don't work so hot.

Best way is to minimize how much you have to sand by working as neat as possible.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Get a scraper. Home Depot or somewhere similar.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
surfman

Post by surfman »

This is the best "block" sander I have ever used. Make several with diffent grits. 40 grit and it works as good as a rasp, 80 grit to smooth. Sanding belt grit lasts forever like this too. Round ends for curved spots edges for tight spots.
stevesteve

Post by stevesteve »

Hi Mud,

I'm curtently grinding away with a Random Orbital Sander, a triangle-ended detail sander, a flapwheel on a drill and if that will not reach a block-and-paper.

The combined armoury seems to be working, so I would mix and match as suits you. Mick in Oz pointed out that hand sanding upsets the neighbours least. My workshop vacuum combinedwith the RO Sander sounds like a jet engine so I don't run that beyond 21:00!
Cheers,
Steve