Question & Poll

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!

If you purchase a set of boat plans from a designer, should you pay the designer/seller every time you build another boat from that same set of plans?

Yes
69%
No
25%
Other ( Please explain in forum below )
6%

Total votes: 16

LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

If the designer has clearly stated that policy during the ordering process, you are absolutely obligated to pay for the subsequent builds!
When I buy a set of prints as a contractor, I'm buying the right to build that house as many times as that house is a viable floorplan.
However, a good set of house plans cost as much as 5000-10,000 dollars, depending on the architect. The royalties he or she recieves after the initial sale are nill. Unless it's a popular floorplan. That creates more business for the designer because most people will seek out a designer who's drawing up what people want. And as much as all women are alike, no two wives have ever wanted the exact same house!
As far as boats go, the cost is so miniscule compared to the time saved, it would be unconscienable to steal from your designer.
As Andy Griffith used to say, "Aunt Bea, pay the man!"

Lee the "Hairy-tick"
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

IMHO, "one license one boat" pretty much sum it up. A builder can ask for a discount on subsequent builds assuming he uses the same set of plans since the designer has less overhead, this is really a small amount, but it is entirely up to the designer.

Related to all of this, I once asked the question: "if I don't like the boat I build and decide to turn it into kindling, may I build another one without paying for the license again?". The designer said yes. I guess Matt would say the same. Would you Matt?

Just my 2-cents.
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

most likely, depends on specifics.
-Matt. Designer.
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

can-o-worms. sorry :oops:
I make stuff up!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Wimp, while I see empathy for designers, I don't see a lot of spontaneous concurrence. Several angles presented.

What was the result on the other net where the question was originally posted?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

it's a good discussion.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I agree on the discussion (process). I'm just wondering what the conclusion or product is or will be?

It seems to me that issues like this are more emotional than logical. That tends to locks them into constant recycling of the process, and works to preclude a conclusion. Unless an outsider (courts) sets a decision.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Kayak Jack wrote:I agree on the discussion (process). I'm just wondering what the conclusion or product is or will be?

It seems to me that issues like this are more emotional than logical. That tends to locks them into constant recycling of the process, and works to preclude a conclusion. Unless an outsider (courts) sets a decision.
Well as far as this site is concerned, the "license" arrangement is detailed in the assembly instructions in the top 2 lines.

If someone has questions or issues, it would be easiest to resolve by contacting me directly via e-mail or phone.

So as a general rule: One boat per set of plans.

Individual situations may be modified on a case by case basis.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The normal Joe ( Like all of us ) would follow your agreement but there is always the one who won't.

SO........ Being the Devils advocate .... I have a question since there are folks out there that have no honor , just greed.

How are you going to enforce it and stop anyone from building a dozen boats. Or worse yet , having them take the plans and make temple's from them , then make a bunch of boats. ?

Lets say that Bubba Bob Bayou in Smelly Skunk Holler , Arkansas , gets a set of plans and does just that. He has made 30 boats and sold them locally with his name on them , Skunk Holler Hand Made Boats and is making more of them.

You would never know ..... :|
Unless you just happen to be on Vacation in Smelly Skunk Holler and paddling Stinky Creek when you see some of them on the water , what then ?

Chuck
Don't you really like the questions I have and NO .. I have never paddled Stinky Creek :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

There is an amount of trust and good faith that has to occur. I've found the boat-building type folks are good people and I can only think of one interaction with a builder that was less than positive.

If a situation got extreme as you described, well there are steps that can be taken that are cost effective and get results. I play those cards close to the vest, though. :twisted:
-Matt. Designer.