Question & Poll

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!

If you purchase a set of boat plans from a designer, should you pay the designer/seller every time you build another boat from that same set of plans?

Yes
69%
No
25%
Other ( Please explain in forum below )
6%

Total votes: 16

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

jem wrote:... If a situation got extreme as you described, well there are steps that can be taken that are cost effective and get results. I play those cards close to the vest, though. :twisted:
Matt's plans self-destruct in the next 5 seconds. If you, or any of your boat-building crew, are caught, Matt and the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Kayak Jack wrote:Matt's plans self-destruct in the next 5 seconds. If you, or any of your boat-building crew, are caught, Matt and the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence.
Matt could start printing the instructions and plans on the same thermal paper that a lot of cash registers are printing out on now days. After about a year every thing that was printed on it just kinda disappears or the whole thing turns a brown color. Disappears even faster if exposed to a slightly higher than normal temp (like if you leave them on the dash board of your vehicle in the sun for a day or two).

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

dangermouse01 wrote:
Kayak Jack wrote:Matt's plans self-destruct in the next 5 seconds. If you, or any of your boat-building crew, are caught, Matt and the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence.
Disappears even faster if exposed to a slightly higher than normal temp (like if you leave them on the dash board of your vehicle in the sun for a day or two).

DM
Sounds like my checking account when the wife has the checkbook , out shopping. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Oldsparkey wrote:
dangermouse01 wrote:
Disappears even faster if exposed to a slightly higher than normal temp (like if you leave them on the dash board of your vehicle in the sun for a day or two).

DM
Sounds like my checking account when the wife has the checkbook , out shopping.
Or when Chuck wants stuff to go camping??
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Well might as well put my 2 cents in
First mat has excellent plans and good service
That's what sells plans
The company called Microsoft has been trying to work this problem out in court for several year you buy operating system put it on puter puter crashes I am putting it back on after I get puter fixed are replaced same with soft ware.
I really don't understand what is question here
A kayak isn't new
peaked deck , lot of kayaks have them
flat bottom sure nothing new there
fiberglass and wood not new
and I doubt anyone builds exactly to plans
the whole concept of wooden boats been around for years
Most folks are not going to build the same boat again they are going to try a new design
If I am happy with a set of plans and see designer with another set I like I know his track record that's where I am buying
Designers even make the statement this is a take off of a certain design with my improvements
Guess I am confused about what is sopose to be protected here.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You're right, it's tough to copyright or patten a shape that's been around for 1000s of years.

The plans are more than just a shape.

They are a means to get a desired shape with basic skills and tools while optimizing materials and minimizing cost. The shape is only a part of the building plans. If it were so easy tutorials, tech support forums, and assembly instructions would not be necessary.

If someone doesn't think that has a recurring value, that's fine. I respect everyone's opinion, but let me reiterate again: One boat per set of my plans unless I say different. Otherwise please don't purchase from me.

I believe this thread is reaching the end of it's useful life on this forum. Might be a good discussion to pick up in the www.southernpaddler.com forum.
-Matt. Designer.