freedom

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You said marine fir. Not sure why I was thinking Meranti. Sorry.

If you bought the 6mm fir,what you could do is stain the 6mm coaming strips a different color to accent the boat. Use a water-based stain first then epoxy over that.

But if you use all 4mm, you'll have plenty of unused plywood to make the additional coaming layer. Just trace 2 extra copies (one for each side).

The bottom hull panel, if made from 4mm, can be stiffened as I mentioned before.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd probably just use all 4mm and make the extra coaming layer and stiffen the bottom. Easy to do.
-Matt. Designer.
gken
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by gken »

Great, thank you for your help. I will go with that then, and add strength to the bottom. Now I just have to wait for the plans. --Garrett
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

gken wrote:Great, thank you for your help. I will go with that then, and add strength to the bottom. Now I just have to wait for the plans. --Garrett
Should be today or tomorrow that you get them. Post office was closed Monday.
-Matt. Designer.
gken
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by gken »

Chuck,
Thank you for your input. You built that boat with no written plans? That is impressive. I am really looking forward to getting my plans and starting. I hope you dont mind me picking your brain, aswell as Jem's. I always have valued the wisdom in experience, and seeing that I have neither :) I will be needing all of yours to get me through my first build. I look forward to chatting with you guys and all the rest of the builders in the future. Thanks again for your time and concideration. --Garrett
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I had the plans for the panels but not the instructions.
I did have some fun with Matt , when I started building it I sent him a e-mail asking which end was the bow. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Oldsparkey wrote:... when I started building it I sent him a e-mail asking which end was the bow.
Did you get an answer?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:
Oldsparkey wrote:... when I started building it I sent him a e-mail asking which end was the bow.
Did you get an answer?
Sure did , you know how helpful Matt is when you have a question. Even when you are picking on him and having some fun. :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I told him it was important to keep the hole in cockpit under the water while he was sitting in it.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

You get one "Atta boy!" Matty! Chuckie needs an "X" on the floor of the cockpit to know where to fish, and an arrow on the foredeck pointing home.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
gken

Post by gken »

Matt, I think I am going to buy my glass and epoxy through your site to make sure I get the right stuff. I am not sure what the best brand to go with is because you have too many options. :shock: I like the idea of the one that has no smell, I will be doing my work inside. What do you suggest? --Garrett