freedom

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I threw away a perfectly good tape measure ??????????

"O" Well , It is a casulity of War or should that be making wood boats :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I really like my new one , It is just like the one I had when I was a kid back then in the dark ages. IT , does not move.
Besides I have to blame something other then myself , since I never make mistakes. :roll:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

You think YOU'VE got problems! Matt had me order this new fangled cordless drill - and the darned thing has a CRANK on the side! Batteries must be hidden in these cute, little wooden handles - somewhere in here? - TINY little buggars!

Oh! How neat! When you turn the crank, that shiny thing on the bottom turns around too. OUCH. Got my beard caught in the gear teeth.

Must be some Star Trekkie sorta thing, ehh?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Oldsparkey wrote: PS. I really like my new one , It is just like the one I had when I was a kid back then in the dark ages.
it measures in cubits and palms. SCORE ONE FOR MATT! (Jack here)
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:
Oldsparkey wrote: PS. I really like my new one , It is just like the one I had when I was a kid back then in the dark ages.
it measures in cubits and palms. SCORE ONE FOR MATT! (Jack here)
Jack ... Ya blabber mouth , I asked you to be quiet about that since Matt only uses those new fangled measurements no one can understand. What are you trying to do ... muddy the waters. :roll:

Chuck. ( three cubits and two palms off plum )
Remember:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Actually, it's cubits and spans.

Cubit = distance from tip of elbow to tip of extended middle finger
Span = distance from wrinkle on wrist line to tip of extended middle finger.

A span is sometimes confused with a fistmele (pronounced as fist mail). This is the width from the edge of the hand to the tip of the extended thumb, like the hitchhiking position. Fistmele is used to measure spacing of a string on a bow in archery.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Kayak Jack wrote:Actually, it's cubits and spans.

Jack,
I think Chuck has an extended middle finger for ya. :lol: :lol:

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

dangermouse01 wrote:
Kayak Jack wrote:Actually, it's cubits and spans.

Jack,
I think Chuck has an extended middle finger for ya. :lol: :lol:

DM
All of the time and he does not know it ... YET.

Personally i measure everything off in Gator tails (when I can get Al to sit still , that restless Gator) The fer short measurements it is Pogo the possum and finer yet Jack the Rat when it comes down to splitting hares .

Speaking of hares ...... Sorry guy's .. Bug's was supper a few night ago with Tweedy as an appetizer and Elmer (Mr Fudd to all of you) was to busy to come over to enjoy it but Yousimity Sam sure pigged out , he thought he was eating Porky. Wiley sure enjoyed the Tweety snack but I did not have the nerve to tell him it was not the road runner.

Now if I can just get Daffy , that Krazy duck , cook him up and make him up fer supper and have you guys over you might just be normal. :roll:

Speaking of that the BOSS is home so let me go an serve up supper fer her.

Chuck.
See .. I am almost as sane and as normal as you guys. :lol:
Remember:
gken

Post by gken »

What is your opinion on marine grade fir? I can get that in 6 mil, and its a lot cheaper than okoume. It would it lok funny with the two woods? I havent gotten my plancs yet, so I dont know where I need all the 6 mil to go. I can see it goes on the bottom of the hull. Where else? would 1 sheet be enough? I sure am glad there is a forum I can ask you pros about this stuff. :wink:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Bottom of the hull and it's used for cockpit coaming.

Meranti is darker. That might look ok.
-Matt. Designer.
gken

Post by gken »

Meranti is not available to me either, at least not this supplier. I will check around again tomarrow. If I come up empty do you think I will be ok with the 4 mil and some extra glass, or should I try and find a sheet of something thicker? I will only need one sheet of 6 mil right? I wonder when those plans will arrive so I can stop asking stupid questions. You should have an option to download the plans, instead of mailing them. Anyway, thank you for all your help. --Garrett