freedom

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Well since you're going for fiberglass coverage, you can save a few bucks by ordering directly with

RAKA - 772-489-4070

-or-

Progressive Epoxy 603-435-7199

Tell them you need:

-2.5 gallons of epoxy (it might be cheaper to buy 3 gallons than 2.5)
-22 yards of 6-ounce cloth, 38" wide
-1 quart of woodflour filler (this stuff is cheap so ordering 2 just in case is not a bad idea)

ASK FOR JEM WATERCRAFT DISCOUNT!

That's the minimum. You also want to consider varnish or paint.

The smell from RAKA epoxy is pretty faint. It's not a strong odor. The epoxy from Progressive has less to no smell at all. Either one would do you just fine. But still work in a ventilated area with a fresh air supply.

I don't mind processing the order for you but since I'm a middle man, I have to up charge to cover my processing overhead costs. But by calling Larry (RAKA) or Paul (Progressive), they can give you some good advice since they are experts about their respective products.
-Matt. Designer.
gken
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by gken »

Does anyone have an opinion on the two as far as quality goes? I guess my prefference would be to order from progressive. I bet my next build will be much easier after I already figure all the shi...stuff out. I will be venting my work area outside, but not smelling up my basement will be nice. I am no longer allowed to spraypaint anything inside anymore because of the smell. Women complain about every little thing sometimes.. :wink: Anyway, I also wanted to know what kind of cloth you use? Is it a mesh, or that stuff that looks like a mess. Sorry I dont know the proper names for this stuff yet. I received my plans too, by the way. They arrived on thursday I just forgot to mention it. Thank you for being so prompt, I just hope I can get started soon. Thanks, --Garrett
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Don't get the chopped glass , you will be sorry if you do , it is not what we want for building our home made boats , it is the filler for the ones made commercially.

I get the woven matt from Raka....... They have proven to be the best for my use and are always getting better.

To put it in simple terms ... something I understand ... I posted this on my web site when a member was having some questions about the epoxy he got and was told by the sales person it was what he wanted....... Yep .. Like the sales person knew what he wanted , all he wanted was the sale and this was not either of the ones Matt mentioned but an different company .

My guess is that I should not say anything about this but I am like a fish at times , just can't keep my mouth shut. You do know that even a fish stays out of trouble if it keeps it's mouth shut.

When I get my epoxy and glass from Raka http://www.raka.com/ and call down there most of the time I get the owner "Larry" and am able to ask questions and get the correct answers.
It is nice talking to the person that owns the business and has built boats , not some sales person who is only interested in making the sale. Then to top it off when I tell him it is a Jem Watercraft boat I get a discount , same thing with a Uncle Johns Pirogue or boats. Plus you can purchase as much or as little as you want , from 4oz to a 30 gallon kit.

Don't get me wrong , his crew has made mistakes when shipping out the epoxy. One builder had the wrong speed of epoxy arrived at his house. The builder called and asked him about it , without any hesitation Larry corrected the mistake and shipped the proper epoxy to him.

Lets see , you talk to the owner , get answers to questions , receive a discount , he stands behind his merchandise ........ Now I know why I shop there.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

the epoxy from RAKA doesn't have even 1/2 the smell you'd get from spray paint.

Progressives has a smell, but I thought it was much less than what I've gotten from RAKA.

I've had more experience working with RAKA products. But never had any issue with the stuff from Progressive.

It's tough for me to give an opinion of one over the other and I'm not just saying that because both are partners of mine. More small boat builders have used RAKA products I think.
-Matt. Designer.
gken
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by gken »

It sounds like I should go with RAKA for the customer service. I want to make sure I get the right stuff, and it sounds like they will turn me on to it there. Which of their epoxys are you all using? I had no idea there would be so many different hardeners and such. Im sure when I call they will set me up right, but it doesnt hurt going in with an idea of what I need. Also, they have 2 flours. I am using Okoume to build, do I want pine flour or maple? I knew this was a big industry, but I had no idea there was so much stuff to sift through. When you guys are sanding your epoxy in between coats, what grit paper are you using. I assume it is around 120-220 grit right? Now, off to Lowes to pick up some basic supplies to get started. Thanks, --garrett
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Garret,

I use 80 grit to rough down and 120 to finish off before the next coat or to feather the glass edges in.

Do yourself a favour and pick up a carbide scraper as well for knocking the tops off the resin runs before sanding.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

gken wrote:It sounds like I should go with RAKA for the customer service. I want to make sure I get the right stuff, and it sounds like they will turn me on to it there. Which of their epoxys are you all using? I had no idea there would be so many different hardeners and such. Im sure when I call they will set me up right, but it doesnt hurt going in with an idea of what I need. Also, they have 2 flours. I am using Okoume to build, do I want pine flour or maple? I knew this was a big industry, but I had no idea there was so much stuff to sift through. When you guys are sanding your epoxy in between coats, what grit paper are you using. I assume it is around 120-220 grit right? Now, off to Lowes to pick up some basic supplies to get started. Thanks, --garrett
Best thing to do is to call down there and ask to talk to Larry if he does not pick the phone up........

I use the medium epoxy but since I have no idea where you are , you might need something different depending on your location and weather. Pine flour is the normal one to use , light in color while the rest are darker. Again it is best to ask Larry while you are on the phone.

Make a list of your questions and then ask him....... Believe it or not he is quite busy but is willing to spend time answering your questions and working with you so you can have the boat you want. I have never gotten the wrong answer from him , just the right ones for what I wanted to do....... as long as he knows what it is you want?

Building wood boats is not brain surgery and the patient will not die if there is a mistake , that is part of the building experience , make one mistake , (then correct it ) this time then don't do it again but you will still have a good boat to paddle.

Trust me ... You will make mistakes , ( 99.9 % of the time only you will know about them when the boat is done ) it is nothing but wood and epoxy with some fiberglass. building is a learning experience ... NO Matter what anyone tells you. Just like swimming , you have to get your feet wet. :D

The biggest problem with building a wood boat is deciding to do it , then which one , then what if I make a mistake and what do I use ?

You will not build one in a day , anyway normal folks don't , They get the plans or kit and there it sits. ????????????????????
The hardest step is cutting that 1st piece of wood and then it gets easier from that day on. I have seen folks take from a month to well over several years to do that 1st cut or to take the kit out of the box. From there on it is all fun. It will take you from 30 days to what ever to compleat it depending on your building speed and how you do it. Don't worry ............

We are here to help you , answer questions and offer some guidance but in the long run you will be doing it your way since it is your boat and you want it your way. :D

OK .. I will get off my soap box and what ever you do ... Don't vote for me , I am not running for or from anything.:lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

gken wrote:It sounds like I should go with RAKA for the customer service. I want to make sure I get the right stuff, and it sounds like they will turn me on to it there. Which of their epoxys are you all using?
I recommend you use their general purpose epoxy and standard hardener with medium cure rate. If you think amine blush will be an issue, then perhaps ask for their non-blushing hardener. Be I don't think you realy need to conern yourself with amine blush since you're building in your basement.
gken wrote:I am using Okoume to build, do I want pine flour or maple?

Pine in easier to sand and lighter in color. I say use that instead of maple.

gken wrote: When you guys are sanding your epoxy in between coats, what grit paper are you using. I assume it is around 120-220 grit right?
Well some may not agree with what I do, but I've gotten handy with 60 grit on my random orbit sander for general construction. Then will use 80 and 120 and higher when I'm finishing things out.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hey Garrett,

Course paper is good for cutting the epoxy & glass, but STAY AWAY from your ply with it. Every scratch left by the paper will stand out as a dark line when you epoxy. It can also cut right through the thin outer veneers of the ply very quickly and it looks awfull when you glass. :oops:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Yes I should mention I sue 60 mostly to round corners and things. Higher grit for surface sanding.
-Matt. Designer.