Help with Plastic Boat

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Melanie

Help with Plastic Boat

Post by Melanie »

Hi there. I did a search on google for kayak and canoe plans and found
the free DIY site that had the link to your site for the free kayak
plans.

I have bought a plastic kayak, it is a "feel free -orca+ (have
also seen similar ones called dolphin) it had badly made buoyancy, solid
foam pieces wedged into place at front and rear.

Me and my partner are beginners so we took our new kayaks out in the water and tried to sink one to see what would happen, and it sunk. We thought that would not happen, and that the buoyancy should at least hold the kayak near the surface of the water.

We have now taken the seat and foam out and are trying to reconstruct the kayaks with solid and safe buoyancy. we are thinking of using expano foam (foam in a can) we also found that the kayaks are now quite flimsy without the original foam holding the top and bottom stiff. I thought that your plans may be able to help us with bouyancy issues.

also, now that the kayaks feel quite flimsy we would like to reinforce them, we are thinking of putting a PVC rod down the centre running under the seat. When the seat is put back on it pushes the bottom of the kayak out to form a sort of keel that runs down the centre. the bottom was originally flat and i am wondering if this will make the boat track badly or change it in any other way, i have noticed that most kayaks and canoes have flat bottoms but dont really know why. Thanks so much for your time

Regards,

Melanie
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Hmmm....

Well first and foremost it sounds like the kayak design requires the foam
for structural integrity. So you definitely need to get it back in.

With the expanding foam you've found, make sure it is CLOSED CELL MARINE type foam. Otherwise it will absorb water and become useless. I would suggest you find at least 4 pound density. 8 pound density if you can. 8 pound density foam will weigh more but it also much stiffer and meant for structural applications. BE VERY CAREFUL using this foam as it expands rapidly and quickly. You can mix and pour a little at a time. It will stick to itself.

If you won't additional bouyancy but don't want to use more foam, I suggest float bags. They weigh little.

As far as the seat is concerned, I'd say get it back to the original
configuration. I can't offer much help about what the effects of your PVC
rod would do without some pictures showing what you propose.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Melanie,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Don't mess around with that petroleum based boat too long before you cut your losses and go get one that will do what you want - stay afloat and be enjoyable.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Hey Mick!

I got this e-mail from Melanie. Can you offer some supplier advice?
Dear Matt
Thank you sooooo much for your advice. Lucky we havnt started to put the cheap foam in a can that we bought from the hardware shop in our Kayaks yet!!!! I am in Frankston, Mebourne, Victoria, so if you know anyone in OZ that can help with the correct foam please let us know.
I am sure, that if you dont mind, i will have another question for you soon in regards to our Kayak Kapers!!!......
Thanx again, VERY MUCH!
Regards
Mel
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Matt, & Melanie,

certainly, :D

When I saw the brand of the plastic boat, I thought is was an Aussie job.
Melanie, if you can forward me your email address or PM me, I might be able to help you.

Unfortunately, Frankstone is about 2 thousand miles away but I can probably put you in touch withsome people down Melbourne way who can help.

DON'T squirt the foam in yet. Don't panic, can be easily fixed. :D

The Feel Free boats are at the entry level end of the plastic boat range. I have not heard of anyone having trouble with them before but like matt said the foam insert would have been in place to help the boat hold its shape.

have you destroyed the foam inserts in cetting them out?

If so, you may need to contact Feel Free to get replacements.

Is your kayak a sit on top or a sit in? if it is a sit on top, what a lot of blokes out here do is to put pool noodles inside to add with floatation.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)