DK TOURING CANOE STABILITY

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Phil

DK TOURING CANOE STABILITY

Post by Phil »

I just retired and I want to make a canoe for my Grandson and Son.
What I want to know is this,

The plan for the DK TOURING CANOE, how stable is this canoe?
Is this a canoe design that will be stable enough for beginners? It is 18ft long for lateral stability, but what about the roll?

I want my grandson (5 yrs old) to learn canoing with dad and feel comfortable aswell.

Thanks,
Phil
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Lightly loaded, the DK Touring Canoe may not give you the stability you seek. I think it also might be a bit big for just you (or son) and your young grandson. He'll help paddle, but you or your son be doing most of the work for a couple seasons while your grandson grows.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd take a look at the Iroquois. It will assemble a little quicker than the DK Touring Canoe because it's shorter (less panels to draw, cut out, and assemble). The Iroquois has a wider bottom and narrower top. This will be more stable and easier to paddle. It won't be blazing fast because of the wider bottom but it will do ok for speed.

The 15'6 length, as compared to the 18' DK Touring Canoe, will also mean it will be lighter so it can be carried easier when not on the water. But the Iroquios is long enough for 1-2 adults plus child for years while he's growing.

I realize it's not free like the DK Touring Canoe, but I think it would be worth the extra $39 investment for what you'd get in return. Hope that helps your decision.
-Matt. Designer.
neil4444

Post by neil4444 »

Phil,

I've just completed a DK Touring Canoe and will shortly give it it's first trial so I'll let you know how it goes, especially re stability. FYI I shortened the length down from 18ft to 12ft but retained the original width. There's a link to my pictures on the link 'Fibreglassing hull question from newbie builder'.

Regards,

Neil