swamp girl bow

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
sawdust

swamp girl bow

Post by sawdust »

I just started to stitch up the bottom of the swamp girl and the last 6 or so inches of plywood just snapped. :cry: All I can say is WTF! Didn't feel I was pushing it too hard, but I guess I was. What now folks? I suppose a fiberglass sandwitch is in order.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Yes you'll have to do a fiberglass patch.

What kind of plywood are you using? This is the first time I've heard of this problem on the SG.
-Matt. Designer.
sawdusty

plywood type

Post by sawdusty »

I'm actually using good quality 1/4 okoume ply from France. The fiberglass patch is drying as I type. I hope it doesn't stiffin it up so much that it looks goofy when I do it again.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Wow that's surprising.

When I first designed the Swamp Girl, I intentionally went out and purchased thick, more brittle hardwood. I then made the bow twist even more severe than the released plans and stitched up a sample hull. It took the bend with no issues.

About how far from the tip of the panel end did it break? Did you happen to notice any voids in the wood?

You might want to try this: Stitch up the panels again. Start inserting the frame except only install until they start to feel hard to push into place. Then let the assembly sit for a day to let the wood grain "stretch" and get used to the twist.
-Matt. Designer.
sawdusty

Post by sawdusty »

The crack runs from 6 inches back to 7.5 inches back from the tip. No voids as I pulled it apart and added epoxy before sticking it back together and sandwiching it between glass.