Holy fiberglass

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Holy fiberglass

Post by Wimperdink »

Hey folks, I've only used polyester fiberglass resin up until now. I'm working on a ground up restore job and using epoxy for the first time. I've currently got my outside seams taped and my question is this. How many times do you folks like to skim the tape with epoxy before you feather the edges and continue. I fully intend to drape the bottom after I get the tape edges feathered out so I dont sand into the glass. Just curious how much epoxy until I try feathering.

Also has anyone used thickened epoxy to fair in the edges of the tape instead of sanding it off. How about filling the weave with thickened epoxy? This is on a power boat so I'd like as smooth a surface as possible on the bottom and keeping as much glass there as possible as well.

Right now I have the tape wetted out, and after it hardened I put a skim coat over it. Most of the weave is filled in now but I know with poly, I could have 6 coats on it and it would still have the weave pattern.
I make stuff up!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I generally apply at least a couple coats and use a cabinet scraper to shave the edges down.

Then a little thickened epoxy if the fiberglass I'm using has a heavy weave.
-Matt. Designer.
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Wimperdink »

jem wrote:I generally apply at least a couple coats and use a cabinet scraper to shave the edges down.

Then a little thickened epoxy if the fiberglass I'm using has a heavy weave.
good call. Thanks. You use the cabinet scraper within hours of the last coat, or the next day?
I make stuff up!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

If you can time it, get it when the resin is not 100% hard but almost there. It'll be easy to scrape. But be careful: If it's not cured enough you'll pull the fiberglass out of place.

Also, you can trim it with a sharp when the resin is just a little tacky still, but has lost all of its liquid feel. Then it's easy to peel off the "trimmings".

Again, do a small test section first.
-Matt. Designer.
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

cool i'll do that. Thanks Matt
I make stuff up!