Question for all regarding Sit Inside Fishing Kayaks

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
gken
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by gken »

Momo,
Mad Fish as in Charlie Moore?
No boats yet
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Garret,

A very, very good point about the stuff behind you. :D Many of the so called, purpose built plastic fishing kayaks have been designed to accomodate this. They have been built very wide and initially stable to allow the fisherman to side side saddle. I think this is partially to make it easier to reach the stuff in the tankwell.

I have some fairly strong views on this.

To make a boat wider, is to make it harder and slower to paddle. i hate working any harder than I need to to get where I am going.

I believe any paddle craft should be no wider than absolutely necessary to a reasonable amount of stability according to the desires and skills of the paddler. For me, this means no more than 28" or 700mm at the waterline,
24" or 600mm is much better. :D

Hobie Kayaks have side pockets for tackle in their boats and all the guys that use these boats for fishing out here, are very happy with the set up. It shouldn't be too difficult to build something similar into a wooden boat. i just don/t think is is worth all the extra work to install them into a SIK. I carry a jam bucket (about 1 quart capacity) between my legs with my ready use supply of tackle & lures and this works very well for me. If bait fishing, an identical bucket is employed to hold that.

Simple is good :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)