tack welding

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
sawdusty

tack welding

Post by sawdusty »

Finally moving on to the epoxying stages of the boat. Raka sent my goo to my old address and it took about 2 weeks to get. Honest mistake.

I was wondering if any of you all have tried this. I mixed up my thickened epoxy for tacking everything together, then put it in a ziploc bag, cut the corner off, then filled the gap squeezing it like a pastry bag. I did it both ways and found the patry bag method to be quicker and easier. Plus I felt like I was filling the gap more consistantly. Then I went back and only had minor touch up with the putty knife. I did find that the thinner bags can burst.

Anyway, it seemed to work for me.

Moving on.... :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've done it that way before and it works pretty good.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Heya Sawdusty,

That is exactly what I do. Quick, clean and very little waste.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
popeye

Post by popeye »

I have taken to using empty caulking type tubes. You can buy them for about a $1.50 ea. The work excellent but there is a little wast left in the "nozzle" but you can push that out with a dowel.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122 ... es_200.jpg
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Yea the hard part was getting the goo into the bag. I use a "freezer" zip lock bag and clamped it to the boat holding the bag open for easy spooning of the goo into the bag.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've gotten to the point where I just use a wooden craft stick to apply filleting material.

First, I mask off each seam like shown above.

Then, I apply the filleting material or tack weld and smooth it out with a gloved finger. If a tack weld, then I just smoosh into the seam.

Next, I pull the tape up (you do this right after the material is applied. Don't let it cure before removing the tape!)

Finally, after you pull the tape, you'll have just a small "step" in the fillet. I gently drag a glooved finger over it again to flatten that step. Seam come out looking very clean.

The bag and tubes also work good. It's just a matter of what makes the process easiest and enjoyable for you.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

On the freedom I am building I am using a large cattle syringe it wks well
Ron