Twisted Hull

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Twisted Hull

Post by surfman »

Okay I got a little more work done and I will post some pictures soon. After I glassed the bottom with one layer of glass I flipped the boat in order to glue in the transom and to fillet the interior. First I glued in the transom which meant I had to remove the ties and glue it up and then reinstall the ties. I did not take any measures to ensure the boat was sitting level on the saw horses and I am not sure if I caused this problem when I glued the transom in or not. It went right back in the way it came out.

Anyway the problem is that looking from the bow to the stern the boat looked good but, when I looked from the stern toward the bow it didn’t look even. It looked slightly twisted. It is difficult to get a good look from the stern since I don’t have much room to stand back. I then proceeded to try to level the boat and found that indeed it was twisted. I need to know what to do at this point. What I have done is re-strapped the canoe down onto the saw horses in the upright position, so that the boat is now only twisted just slightly back the other way. I was thinking, or hoping, that when I glassed the inside of the boat that it would help to hold the new shape and just a slight twist would allow for any tendency to twist back the other way. What do you guys think? Am I screwed at this point and will have to live with it, or will I have to saw off the transom and re-glue it?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Hmm...

If you're sure there was no twist before the transom went on, you might be better off cutting it loose and reinstalling. It's a pain but it's actually not that bad to do. I've done something similar before.

Overcompensating the twist and glassing the inside might do the trick but how would you how it while glassing the inside?
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Well right now I have it strapped down with two strap clams and braces to hold it into position. It would make glassing a little more dificult but not that bad. I had it strapped down while I was filleting and it wasn't too bad to work around. The transom is also filleted in as well so I really don't want to cut it out at this point. :x

It is not twisted too bad but I want it straight of cours, and I was hoping this would work. I still need to put more glass on the out side as well as I need to flip the boat again and finish glassing the transom and I was planning on puting 2 layers on the bottom anyway.