poor epoxy penetration

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
bstall

poor epoxy penetration

Post by bstall »

After cleaning some excess epoxy from joints i noticed there was very little if any penetration into the plywood.Im using standard exterior grade plywood and Raka slow cure no blush.Ive read of adding acetone but didnt know if that was a good idea or not.Or should i even be that concerned about this.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

To do the epoxy saturation you can use some acetone in it to thin it for better penetration of the wood.

I like to epoxy saturate the wood I use , if the boat gets a deep scratch thru the fiberglass then the saturation helps to protect the wood from the water or elements. I think of it as an insurance policy for the boat.

Plus the wood needs to be saturated before the fiberglass is put on it. The epoxy on the boat gives the epoxy with the glass something to bond with for a better bond.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You can typical thin epoxy with acetone or denatured alcohol. Call Larry at RAKA to find out what he recommends. I've used both with success but I'd rather defer to Larry since he knows his product the best.

When your boat is ready for completion, it should have 3 coats of epoxy over any bare wood surface. 2 on top of any fiberglass. So you should have good coverage.
-Matt. Designer.