Broken bottom panel - what to do?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Broken bottom panel - what to do?

Post by lncc63 »

Didn't notice a defective area on a sheet and unfortunately put one of the ends in it. As I was testing how they'd bend, the panel immediately cracked.

What should I do now? Should I replace the whole panel? Reinforce it with glass? Can a butt a new piece? Where should the butt be made? Should I also do the same to its partner so they bend identically?
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Broken bottom panel - what to do?

Post by jem »

lncc63 wrote:Didn't notice a defective area on a sheet and unfortunately put one of the ends in it. As I was testing how they'd bend, the panel immediately cracked.

What should I do now? Should I replace the whole panel? Reinforce it with glass? Can a butt a new piece? Where should the butt be made? Should I also do the same to its partner so they bend identically?
use a fiberglass patch to repair the area. Doing the same on the mirrored copy may not be a bad idea
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

That was FAST. Thanks Matt, will do.
Louis