Minwax Exterior Polyurethane

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
popeye

Minwax Exterior Polyurethane

Post by popeye »

Can polyurethane be used as a final coat over epoxy? found an exterior polyurethane that is supposed to have excellent UV protection.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

I have the same question. I am planning on using it on the interior of my Stalker. I would think it would be tougher than varnish and the new UV resistant stuff should be even better.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

oops. Sorry. I missed that question. What brand is it?

04/26/07: I updated the thread title
Last edited by jem on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt. Designer.
stevesteve
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by stevesteve »

Hi Matt,
I was thinking of Ronseal Yacht Varnish http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=33
does that look OK?
Cheers,
Steve
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

the yacht varnish looks fine.

The other I'd like to do more research on the other exterior urethanes. Many times, they do good for water resistance but poorly for UV protection.

SYS Three has a linear polyurethane paint (comes in clear and other colors) that is tougher than varnish, but more expensive. Note: This product is different than just an exterior urethane.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

I was looking at the Minwax brand. Sold at your basic hardware store.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I haven't had any first hand experience, but from what I heard, it's not a good idea.

Here's a few sites that suggest to stay away from Minwax for boat building:

http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing.html
http://byyb.org/pn761/index.php?name=Re ... ntent&id=1
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000635.html
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

None of those tests were done with urethane over epoxy. Only one guy, the second one, had really bad results and that could be attributed to surface prep, who knows. The first one said all failed and the minwax product didn't look any worse than any of the others. I don't think any paint is going to be bullet proof and I will not be leaving my boat out in the elements all the time either. I do want a durable finish that will last a long time. I am also planning on painting the outside of the boat with a pigmented paint. Is urethane the best choice there too or will alkyd enamel work just fine?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I think you'd have better luck with an alkyd enamel made specifically for marine applications. They will have the best moisture and UV resistence.

I'm looking through some info about marine paints and varnishes to offer a better technical reply.

But you're right: Nothing is bullet proof. Based on my personal experience, I've had the best success with a clear LPU marine paint. But that's also the most expensive option.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Thanks Matt, I will be ready to start painting in a month, I hope. :lol:
I got the interior glassed and I will post some more pics soon.