STAINING PLY BEFORE SEALING

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
LSMANN2

STAINING PLY BEFORE SEALING

Post by LSMANN2 »

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER STAINED THIER PLYWOOD BEFORE STARTING THIER BUILD? iF SO WHAT KIND OF RESULTS WERE ACHIEVED? IS THIS ADVISABLE OR A MISTAKE TO ATTEMPT?
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

I have never done it yet. But it can be done. You would need to use a water base stain, NOT oil based. Epoxy doesn't like to adhere to oil based. Small test pieces would be your best bet. Epoxy and varnish can have different shades, depending on brand, and that may change the end result, not necessarily to your liking. And once the wood is stained, your are pretty much stuck with it. Unless you paint the boat or start over.

One of the concerns that comes up would be sanding away the stain when rounding off corners and such.

Chuck, paddling4sharks and Mick have done it, or are doing it. Maybe they will chime in with some insight.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

DM covered it pretty well. I haven't stained the wood but I did one boat where I added colored pigment to the epoxy.

Epoxy will darken the wood , almost like a light stain , so if you stain the boat do some test strips 1st to make sure you get the desired shade.

Chuck.
PS. As DM said ... use a water based stain.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler