What kind of boat is right for me?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

What kind of boat is right for me?

Post by jem »

Sometimes choosing a design is the hardest part of building a boat. No joke! :shock:

The choices can seem endless even for experienced boaters and paddlers. While there is no one boat that will do it all for you, you can help narrow down which design will serve you the most.

This article will help guide someone through the selection process. It will be updated a few time so be sure to check back occasionally.

There are several factors and which is more important than the others can be argued. So we'll take the easy way out and say they are all important and all should be considered.

TYPE OF BOAT

Do you want something that can be paddled, rowed, sailed, or something with an outboard?

Motor and Sail: If you feel the need for speed, or need a boat that is very wide, a motor is the way to go. Sailing is a passion and a completely different subject. Since JEM Watercraft primarily deals with craft that are manually powered, we'll skip discussion of motor and sail boats. If you want a sail or motor boat, you'll know for sure.

Paddle: Traditionally, the paddle-boat selection is narrowed down to 2 choices: A canoe or a kayak. A canoe is typically an open deck boat in which the paddler sits at or near the top of the sheer line (top edge of the side of the hull) on a bench-style seat and paddles with a single blade paddle. Many paddlers consider this position more comfortable than a kayaking position where legs are enclosed.

Canoes can carry a large load and are easy to get on the water thus making them very family orientated. They are typically wider than kayaks and therefore are not as fast. Because of the open deck, they require higher sides and ends to keep water out. The higher sides act as sails in strong wind and it can be difficult to keep on course in these conditions. Gear has to be lashed to the hull or else it will float away should you swamp it.

A kayak typically is a closed deck that the paddler sits with their legs inside of and paddles with a double blade paddle and sometimes is assisted with a rudder or skeg. Kayaks are typically narrow and fast. Because they are decked, they can be very low to the water and thus not be effected by winds as much as a canoe. The paddler is in a seated position on or near the hull bottom so the center of gravity is low, thus giving a more stable feeling. While there is no worry about losing gear since it's stowed underneath a deck, the gear to be packed and unpacked typically through a hatch. So getting to gear can be timing consuming.

All persons on the water should know basic self rescue. But in a typical kayak, a paddler must know how to perform a roll or wet exit should they tip over. One could view the kayak as more dangerous than a canoe. The adventof the Sit On Top kayak has addresses thus safety concern and made paddling kayaks more accessable to the general public. This is, by no means, a substitute for safety and good judgement.

The lines between what defines a canoe and what defines a kayak are blurring. There are many canoes that are narrow and partially decked and are paddled with a double blade paddle. Some kayaks, especially those geared toward fishing, which are wider, have an open access to cargo, and are very stable (referred to as recreational kayaks).

But even within the canoe and kayak categories, there are many different sub-categories that could be discussed.

The main point is don't get hung up on what a manufacturer or design defines as a canoe or kayak. Let your needs define the features of what your ideal boat should be.

Row: Rowing is perhaps thought of as the most "traditional" method of manually propelling a boat. But did you know that rowing came to be after paddling? The technique was discovered by the Greeks about two thousand years ago. It was much more effective than paddling by taking advantage of the mechanical advantage of an oar (which is technically a lever). Rowing was primarily used to transport goods and eventually evolved into racing.

While rowing does have it's advantages over paddling, it also has disadvantages. Typically row boat are heavier in that they require greater hull strength than that of canoe or kayak. Maneuvering a boat with oars down a very narrow stream or shallow water is hard to do with oars. And if you get to a spot where you have to portage the boat over land, well let's just say I hope you have someone to help!

To be continued...
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

OK, so you gave it a lot of thought and you've finally decide what type of boat you want.

Now you need to answer some more questions:

1) What type of water will I be paddling on?
2) Am I an experienced paddler?
3) How much weight will I typically have on board?
4) What is the most weight I'll have on board?
5) How much room do I have to build and store this boat?
6) How complicated of a design am I willing to build?
7) What's my budget for time and money?

We'll expand on these points later.
-Matt. Designer.