Southwind

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Southwind

Post by tx river rat »

Jem
Are you going to have plans for the south wind in the near future.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

yep. Got a couple other projects to button up first.

:)
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Mat do you have a rough ideal of timeframe I want hold you to it :lol:
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

tx river rat wrote:Mat do you have a rough ideal of timeframe I want hold you to it :lol:
Ron
well in that case, September! :P

June-July probably more like it.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Thanks
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Ron,

If you build one of these, I am certain you will never regret it. My Southwind is by far, the best boat in the shed.

Mine is allmost as fast as my best sea kayak, more manouvrable and rock solid stable. She tracks like she is on rails and is my pride and joy. Everywhere I take her, she draws a crowd.

I hope to do a paddle with our Maryborough Canoe/Kayak club this Sunday. Will be taking the South Wind and hope to get some feedback from the other paddlers on what they think of her.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
T'll be waiting for your reports after you paddel her for a few days
Ron
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick, help me out here again, please? What is the weight of your Southwind (in either Kg or pounds, no stones or some other weird eight system)?

What is your seat height above the bottom? Do you have a rudder on it? Paddling with a single or double blade?

Thanks from a crusty - but forgetful - Olde Farte
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Jack,

She came in at 44 or 45 pounds, empty. (about 20 KGs. Blokes doubt the weight till they pick her up. I had a stockpile of those cheap sheets of ply I have been using. The weight varied significantly from sheet to sheet. I selected the lightest ones in the bunch. I forget exactly what it was, but well under 50. I went all out to go as light as I could.

Seat Heights I made two bases for a sit backer seat. Off shore base is 31/2 inches above the bottom. With the seat cushion, probably about 4 inches.

Inshore base is 5 inches above the deck, with cushion, probably about 51/2inches. Even at that height she is still very stable and is more suitable to the single blade.

Either seat base works well.

Re the rudder, One would be nice but the boat tracks that well, I just haven't bothered. If I ever put a sail on her, I will need a rudder but my thinking on this one is keep her simple and light.

I am not nearly as strong as I used to be but I can still throw her up on the roof of my 4 wheel drive on my own without resorting to my roller loading system.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

My chance to pick on Mick: Had you done the coaming as drawn, you probably could have saved a couple more pounds. :)
-Matt. Designer.