Southwind

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Matt,

Can you show a profile of the "coaming as drawn"? I remember a long discussion on this, but don't remember details or conclusions.

Mick,

A good friend of mine has a Sea wind that inspired this design. He has a "little house" that covers the entire cockpit for sleeping in the boat over night. It keeps out bugs & rain. If you are interested, I can back channel you his contact info.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Gday HairyMick,
How does it compare with the wadefish you built?
Cheers Mike
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Matt,

I thinK you might be right mate and it would have been much quicker to build the coaming as drawn..

I just didn't much like the look of the vertical coaming and becaus the boat would be resting on the coaming when tied down onto the roof-racks of my car, I had doubt about its strength in the long run.

Hi Jack,

Thanks mate, but I don't plan on sleeping in her. Where I will be padding her, there are lots of sandy islands with trees to hang a Hennesy. :D

Hi Mike,

They don't compare. Wadefish is a planing hull and as such is a very good down wind/wave performer, She takes more effort to maintain good hull speed when punching into either.

South Wind is a true displacement hull along the lines of a big sea kayak.

While she is not capable of achieving the speeds of the wadefish, she has better glide and takes less effort to maintain an acceptable hull speed.

It is a bit like trying to compare apples to oranges.

Wadefish is a purpose built fishing machine that is capable of touring some distance. She is superb as a fishing machine and rough water boat but storage for touring was a compromise.

Southwind, is an expetition/touring machine and will be superb in that role. Very good hull performance in all conditions and immense storage and load carrying capacity. She also is a very useful fishing boat.

I originally built Wadefish to fish a patch of reef some 8 miles off-shore for very solid pelagics. I wanted a boat capable of taking the most advantage of the prevailing trade winds and swell coming home.

Since building her, I have had a couple of health problems and that patch of reef is no longer an option.

I tend to target more sheltered waters and calmer, easier paddles now and have develloped a real love for the single blade paddle. for the conditions I am paddling at the moment, Southwind better suits my needs.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Thanks Mick,
I am still exploring :)
As I've mentioned on AKFF, I'm looking to fit a Mirage drive, so will probably go with the Wadefish No2, once Matt has time to complete the drawings.
I can understand your input and appreciate it,
Cheers Mike
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Mike,

Will you be using it around SW Oz?

Check your PMs mate.
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Sorry guys,

The weather Gods are against me again. I was going to take her out today to get some open water tests done Woke up to torrential rain that we desperately need so I am not complaining about that :D and it is cold and pretty bleak. Will try to get her out later in the week.
Regards,
Mick

Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Yes Mick,
Southern Ocean Salmon call my name :)
Also in the dams and rivers.

Cheers Mike