"Big" motor on a Muskoka

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

"Big" motor on a Muskoka

Post by lncc63 »

There are not many outboards available where I live, well at least ones I can afford. So when an 8HP came along I snatched it up.

My question is what do I need to do to be able to use this safely on the Muskoka? Do I need to reinforce the transom? Would it be safe to operate? If I remember right, 2 hp will get the Muskoka to hull speed.

Thanks in advance.
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

that's way overpowered and probably kinda heavy.

you'd need some major bracing.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

Oops ...

What kind of bracing would be needed?
Louis
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Matt,

Would a throttle-stop to limit throttle travel to some point be useful/ advisable?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Some sort of governing switch would be a good idea.

You need to add some breakhooks/knees to the transom corners. Additional glass around the transom wouldn't hurt either.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

"Governing switch" - will do that.

I could do the breasthooks but I'd have to cutout part of the pretty inwale :cry:. How about I add another 9mm to the transom and laminate 2 pieces of 6mm ply to the inside of the tumblehome panels from the lower side of the inwales to the deck which is about 4" to 6" from the top of the transom? If this won't do then how about if I raise the deck (9mm) to the level of the sheer and put a well for the motor clamp. I know this is a lot of work but hey it is all fun to me :D.

Thanks Matt.
Louis
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Just goes to show how inexperienced I am at all of this ... after seeing the actual motor and putting it on the transom, I can see clearly what you guys have been saying. Unless Matt says "do this .. and do that and it will work", its time to find another way.

I know this is beyond any tech support obligation but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Actually, I'm building 2 Muskokas. The panels for the second one are already cut and ready for assembly. I've of course thought of joining them into a very stable catamaran of sorts for all-the-family outings. My question is any suggestions on how I should link the two hull so I can use the motor on this?
Louis
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

you could mount a long pole on top of each thwart, so long as each boat has the thwarts in the same place.

looks like I missed your question from the 19th. Sorry.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

No problem Matt.

I would keep the thwart positions but could I put the poles further apart so the platform between the poles had more space? I'd also have longitudinal poles between the lateral poles.
Louis
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

proposed positions?
-Matt. Designer.