Graphite after paint

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
pogue31

Graphite after paint

Post by pogue31 »

I was planning on painting my wadefish and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the graphite/epoxy mixture over paint. Or should I mask and overlap the two areas?
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Graphite the area you want ..... Then paint the rest. The paint will not stick to the graphite since graphite is a lubricant (Slippery). Any paint put on it will come off as you paddle.

Epoxy over paint is not a real swift idea :oops:, epoxy on epoxy works a lot better unless the paint has a epoxy base.

Mask off the area for the graphite (usually at the water line and under the boat) then paint the rest from that line on up.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've read one report where a builder built a power boat and painted over the graphite with LPU paint. He says it has stuck on the graphite well.

Haven't seen pictures of that, though.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:I've read one report where a builder built a power boat and painted over the graphite with LPU paint. He says it has stuck on the graphite well.

Haven't seen pictures of that, though.
That could be true , never have that happen to me since I don't paint over it , dang , I have a hard time getting the masking tape to stick to it. I guess we will find out if he paints over it. Live an learn new things , the spice of life.

Chuck.
Remember:
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Graphite OVER Paint

Post by pogue3one »

I was planning on using petit paint ship n dec enamel frome about the waterline up and graphite/epoxy mix on the bottom of the boat. Will the Epoxy Graphite mix stick to the paint if the paint is on first. or should I try to mask it off. In another post it was recommended to move the mask when applying the graphite/epoxy so that there is no step effect. can the part where the masking is moved overlap the paint line or will it flake off?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The epoxy should stick to the top of the paint ok. But I'd minimize how overlap of the 2 you have.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Will epoxy stick to enamel paint , if it is real enamel and not water based ?

The reason I am asking is because of this .............Some enamel paints have been made by adding varnish to oil-based paint.

The term sometimes refers to oil-modified polyesters that were introduced in the early 1930s. The oil is required to stop or enhance the crosslinking of the paint in order to achieve sufficient flexibility of the paint film.

Typically the term "enamel paint" is used to describe oil-based covering products, usually with a significant amount of gloss in them, however recently many latex or water-based paints have adopted the term as well.

Chuck.
Remember:
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

good info Chuck. Even more reason to minimize any overlap.
-Matt. Designer.