painting vs. epoxy pigments

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cxharlesrgl

painting vs. epoxy pigments

Post by cxharlesrgl »

I have just recieved my free plans for the dk cruiser.Having worked with fiberglass in repairing trucks I am somewhat familier with fiberglass. the one question I have is about the painting.If I use pigment in the epoxy,how will it stand up to the uv rays that fade paint.also,if Idecide to use pigment,would I use it in the final two coats of epoxy and could I still sand and buff it out. If I use my hvlp spray gun and paint it will thining out the paint effect the finish when using marine paint,or could I use a synthetic enamel paint. My son came up wiyh the brilliant idea to paint flames on it.
I plan on making this a winter project so I won't be rushing anything as I have never built a boat before. My son saw your other plans and wants to order one so we can build him one.Personally I thik he's opting for me to pass on so he can inherit mine.
Thank you for any help or advice you can give Chuck. :)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

With pigments, the color is usually a little opaque and you'll still need a top coat of varnish.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

I believe the main problem with epoxy is that it will go flat, or dull and will not retain that shinny smooth gloss if exposed to sun light for an extended period of time. If the boat stays in the garage and only comes out into the sun on occasion then epoxy is probably fine for the final finish.

I am at the point of putting on the final varnish coat and am having a hard time with it. The epoxy looks so good I am afraid the varnish won't look as good. Should I be worried?
Tight Lines, Steve
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Heya Steve,

I have only bothered with varnishong one of my boats so far. They all live in a shed when not in use and I just haven't had the time yet.

The one boat I did do, was my first build, Swampgirl. It brought the surface up beautifully, like a mirror. The only problem with that was that it made all of my mistakes stand out (and there were plenty of them)

I used a polyurethane pigment mixed with the epoxy resin in my touring pirogue. (because epoxy pigment was unvailable) as an experiment. It turned out pretty well and hasn't faded at all. The finish is not as good as a gloss painted one but still pretty good and a lot harder than paint. This is my mud and blood fishing boat and it gets a pretty solid beating. So far, it has stood up well.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

It takes a LOT of sunshine to deteriorate epoxy. But, once it starts, it is an irreversible process. Sorta like aging.

I've used white pigment, which is itself epoxy, for the inside of my kayaks. Reason is, I can easily see if any item was forgotten and still lies tucked up under a deck. Even moonlight is sufficient to see up under the decks.

The white has never yellowed or "faded". (Though, I'm not sure to what color white would fade? Does it get lighter?) I've never heard of epoxy pigment fading. BUT, since it is epoxy, you have to readjust the mixture when using it.

Captain's Z-Spar is the most effective at protecting against UV damage. It costs a bit more than common spar varnishes, but is worth it.

AVOID MINWAX LIKE THE PLAGUE. I have to sand the stuff off a kayak of mine. I put it on against advice, and should not have. AARRGGHH!!
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.