Laker Question

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

You are a genius! :D I like that a lot.

I think you may have just answered a question for me.

At the moment I am trying to figure out a type of canoe/kayak that I would like to build as a gift for a very big girl. 300 pounds plus.

She is a true angel and loves to paddle. Trouble is, she just can't buy a solo boat that will suit her particular needs.

To answer your question though, I think it would make a VERY good boat. It would improve its allready very good tracking and secondary stability AND would make the bottom rigid. (no oil canning)

Matt, any thoughts please?
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

certainly doable.
-Matt. Designer.
jheger
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

another thought

Post by jheger »

Mick:
Another thought on the above changes to the robin p5 is to have Matt design an asymetrical shape bottom with the slight V and have a lower stern that bow like he did for me on the touring pirogue - T. I think this would help the performance.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

I agree with the stem height thing. I would love to build one very low, very skinny and sleek with a max beam of no more than 600mm. (with a V bottom) and perhps, V decks to shed water.

I am not convinced that the assymetrical hull shape in this type of boat provides sufficient performance advantage to justify the extra marks out and work in build.

Robins P5 is a quicker boat in sprint than my Tourer though it doesn't have the load capacity

Good thread mate. I really like the direction this is heading.
Regards,
Mick

jheger

asymetrical hull

Post by jheger »

I am not sure about the asymetrical hull either. The extra work to cut out the panels is like you said, extra work. But then again, some of us don't consider this extra work so it may be justified. I do know this, I also built the tourer and Matt designed the touring pirogue - T for me. They both have asymetrical hulls and they perform as good or better than the rest of the boats I have. They track great and speed is very good for me. Not bad on stability either. So there you have it. Another toss up.
jheger

asymetrical hull

Post by jheger »

I am not sure about the asymetrical hull either. The extra work to cut out the panels is like you said, extra work. But then again, some of us don't consider this extra work so it may be justified. I do know this, I also built the tourer and Matt designed the touring pirogue - T for me. They both have asymetrical hulls and they perform as good or better than the rest of the boats I have. They track great and speed is very good for me. Not bad on stability either. So there you have it. Another toss up.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hey Mick -

Thanks for the picture of the bottom of the Laker. It's the perfect answer to my original question. :)

- Hank
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

I don't mind the extra work either mate, and agree that Matt's touring pirogues (in all their configurations) are remarkably good boats. After all, what is no to like about them? They are fast enough, track well, a hoot to paddle and with very good load capacity. all this in one of the easiest boats around to build.

I said it before and I still say it. If I could only ever build one boat, A Touuring Pirogue would be it. Everybody who has seen or paddled mine, wants, it or one just like it.

Robins P5 is no different.
Regards,
Mick