Newbie getting ready to start

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
starkids1990
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Newbie getting ready to start

Post by starkids1990 »

Hello!
Just a quick introduction. I'm Stacey, 38 years old, Been married 17 years and am the father of great 3 kids. I also was born and raised in NC, very near to the city where JEM is based out of (less than 30mins away). I stumbled onto this place because of a "how to" website I like to visit. I've always loved to do DIY projects and now that my sons are older I'm getting back into fishing, so building my own canoe just seemed like the kind of thing I'd like to tackle (no pun intended). I pondered over the DK touring canoe quite a bit. even called up Matt at JEM to answer a few questions. After some more thought about the type of canoe I was looking to build and use....I bought the plans today for the Townsend! :D I figured it to be the most appropriate for the type water I wanted to use it on. Heck! since I do live in the "neighborhood" (so to speak) I might even take it over to Lake Townsend (for which its named according to the JEM website) when I'm finished for its first launch. Can you tell I'm excited?

This will be a first time boat building for me and I hope to report progress on it very soon.

Take care!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Three cheers for the Carolina boys! 8)
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Starkids 1990 and welcom aboard mate. :D

I reckon the townsend will make a great fishing and paddling boat. Don't be too surprised if your kids all want one as well. 8)

Looking forward to your posts. Please share with us lots of piccies of your journey with this one. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

And I want a ride in it when it's done!
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

PSSSSTT StarKids 1990 - if you give Matt a ride, I'll pay you $10 to tip him over.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:PSSSSTT StarKids 1990 - if you give Matt a ride, I'll pay you $10 to tip him over.
Let me know when you try the boat.

If there is an island out in the middle of the lake we can make some money.
You paddle him out to the island and have him jump out and see if there are any dangerous critters on it , then back off and paddle home while he checks the island.
Later I can paddle out to save Matt , for a fee ( to be determined later).

StarKids , we can discuss what that amount ( the taxi ride for Matt back to the shore) should be when you have the boat ready to paddle. :P

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

For the island, you'd need to paddle Lake Brandt. :P
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I wonder if StarKids 1990 is sorry yet that he joined this forum?

Welcome aboard. It gets a bit BS'y around here sometimes. When you separate the flyspecks from the pepper, there's a lot of good advice and information available.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
starkids1990

Post by starkids1990 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been lurking around here for quite a while now before signing up and thought that you guys would be fun crowd! :wink:

Workshop is ready!
Epoxy, wood flour, fiberglass order going out next week to RAKA.
I've already gotten my plywood, 1/4" luan from Lowes.

I know, I know,...should have gotten marine plywood....don't beat me up yet! Let me prove I can build a boat that floats to the wife before bigger $$$ start going out the door! I don't know about you guys but "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Matt, you've got a seat reserved for the Lake Townsend trip! I'll bring some Lexington Style BBQ and make it a big ol' time! 8)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

starkids1990 wrote:
Matt, you've got a seat reserved for the Lake Townsend trip! I'll bring some Lexington Style BBQ and make it a big ol' time! 8)
oh yea!!!

NO other BBQ like it in the world, PERIOD!
-Matt. Designer.