JEM Watercraft technique questions.

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
FlaMike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by FlaMike »

get one extra sheet of ply - just in case.
That's pretty much my plan.

I'm just hoping I don't have to order from your Brisbane supplier! :lol:

I've located one supplier of marine ply, about 30 miles North of me. No idea what he actually has on hand, though. I'll be looking about some more, I'm sure to find others.

What I do eventually buy will likely be based more on availability, rather than price. I'd not go so far as to say "Price doesn't matter," I will pay more for better quality.

With 6 oz. cloth for the hull and 4 oz for the deck (inside & out,) I'd think there's some room for discussion on exactly what goes in between. Again, as I said, it may come down to what I can find. I don't mind a drive to get it, but I'd not want to have to have it shipped. (Especially from your supplier, as good as he must be!) :D
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mikey,

Go to www.local.com and search.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Thanks for the link, but it kept leading me down blind alleys, usually to other search sites. It did turn up one that I already had marked and I'll be giving them a call this morning.

After that, I'll be going thru the phone book and seeing what I can find. Once in a while, you'll talk to someone who doesn't have what you need, but knows where you can find it. That should turn up something.

One thing I will NOT do is use the 1/4" CDX exterior ply from the local Home Depot or Lowes. That was OK for my Pirogue, but I want to take this build "up a notch."

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Just placed my order with Raka for a 3 gallon kit! :D

Still got some left over from the last build, maybe 1/4 gallon of resin and a like amount of both slow & fast hardeners. I measured the 6 oz. X 50" cloth I have, it came out to 16 yards, (for the hull,) and I ordered 12 yards of 4 0z X 30", for the decking.

Got at least half a pound of wood flour still, and can get more if needed out to the "dust bag" on my random orbital sander. If needed, I also have most of a roll of fg tape.

Now then, as for my plywood search. . .

Pooey! :evil:

Closest supplier, Triton Marine in Homosassa, won't have 4mm Okumi until December! But they do have 4mm Ozigo. From talking to him, it would be a step down from the Okumi, but maybe better than luan. Here's the specs I found somewhere on the 'Net:

Ozigo, aka: Dacryodes buettneri

Density 0.50 to 0.65
Medium-hard wood.
Used for plywood, inside joinery.
From Africa : Guinée, Gabon

With epoxy saturation and fg cloth on both sides, it would probably work OK, but that would be at a price of $36 a sheet.

I did find another source a little further off who will email me with prices and availability on 4mm Okume. He says he'd have to order it, having only 3/8" on-hand, if that. (Mostly, he carries thicker stuff.) His 3/8" goes for $65 a sheet, the 4mm should be less. :shock: (sticker shock!)

But I'm not done looking just yet!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mike,

Do you have a cabinet makers or wood joinery shop in your area?

If so, give them a call. Even better, call in to talk to them in person. Explain to them what you are doing and what you are looking for.

There is a very good chance they will have a plywood supplier or know of one who can fill your needs. There is even a better chance of one or more of the blokes working there being a boat builder or wanna be boat builder. I have found these types of shops and the people in them to be very passionate about what they do and they just love to share their knowledge and to help whenever they can.

I often call in to the local cabinetmakers and joinery shops here and just "shoot the breeze" with them. The tips and tricks they pass on are invaluable. One such put me in touch with my latest supplier of plywood and the great price I got. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

FlaMike wrote:I did find another source a little further off who will email me with prices and availability on 4mm Okume. He says he'd have to order it, having only 3/8" on-hand, if that. (Mostly, he carries thicker stuff.) His 3/8" goes for $65 a sheet, the 4mm should be less. :shock: (sticker shock!)
Mike,
Granted I dont look too hard for 4mm Okume, I can find it for about $50 a sheet in Fla.

DM
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Mick,

I'll try the cabinet shops for info. There are a number of custom shops around. Thanks!

DM,

$50 a sheet for the right stuff, I can live with. But I'd like to find it within a 100 miles of home. So far, that Ozigo stuff is looking good, but I do expect an email from the guy in Lakeland. He's the one that has the 3/8" sheets and getting info on the 3/16", which I think is the 4mm.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Still waiting to hear from the Lakeland shop on the cost and availability of the plywood, but my epoxy from Raka got here! :D

Seems like only yesterday that I placed that order. . . Oh wait! It was yesterday!

The guy I talked to (not Larry,) didn't know anything about a JEM Watercraft discount, but I didn't let that stop me. One thing, I need to call them in the AM, one of the hardener bottles is covered with a film of hardener on the outside, all contained in it's own plastic bag.

Could be over-fill, might has squished out from the cap during shipment, I don't know. But I did loose a gallon of that in the past due to leakage while still in the box, so it makes me nervous.

I have a gallon jug of the same hardener that's 3/4ths empty. I'm thinking about pouring the new, possibly leaky quart into that jug.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'll be contacting RAKA tomorrow.
-Matt. Designer.
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Matt,

Just so you know, the gentleman I talked to was quite nice & polite, and simply said that he wasn't aware of any discount available. He also said that Larry would be out of town, possibly for the rest of the week, I think.

As I told him, I'd be placing my order with Raka, discount or no discount. I like doing business with them and have confidence in their product, based on my own experience.

What I didn't tell him was that as far as I'm concerned, that discount should be going to you, as I'm sure that they do get orders from people who choose Raka, based on what they read on your Forum.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL