Freedom and Southwind, and. . .

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
FlaMike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Freedom and Southwind, and. . .

Post by FlaMike »

I built an Uncle John's Pirogue because the guys on OldSparkey's Forum suggested I should learn from building it, before building UJ's Jon boat and tricking it up for flats fishing. I did, and it was good.

But in the process, I found that I'd completely lost interest in power boats!

That Pirogue is just perfect for the very protected backcountry waters that I use it in. But now, I want to expand my boating and fishing range to include some "less protected" local waters. Much conversation with Matt, Mick, and Chuck, has led me to conclude that an upcoming version of Southwind is the boat I want to build.

While all this talk was going on, Nanette (my wife,) made her first day trip with me, in the Pirogue as a tandem. Our combined weight as a bit much for the boat, so we just paddled about on the Chassahowitzka River, in a part that sees very little power boat traffic, and spent out time on one of the spring-fed tributaries very near the launch ramp.

It was quite beautiful, very calm water with a nice, slow current. She had a ball! I got out to tease some bluegills with my fly rod and let her paddle around on her own. That was all it took to not only get her hooked on paddle craft, but also convinced her that she needs a boat of her own.

We talked about that, and together decided that the Freedom 15 would be perfect for her. Now she says it has to be fully "pimped out," too! :lol:

To be honest, I'd planed on building my Southwind first, since the version I talked to Matt about should make for a good serious fishing solo craft, and do duty as an occasional tandem boat. But it may be a bit before that version is ready for release. And the urge to build has been getting stronger and stronger, so I've ordered the Freedom plans, Nanette gets her boat build first. (This seems to sit rather well with her.)

I've got one week to get the build space in the garage ready and pick up the wood. Already have the fg cloth and epoxy, so I should be able to get started fairly quickly. How fast the build goes, depends upon how fast I pick up on this building method, which is a bit different from Uncle John's.

At some point, I'm going to have to dig an old, 4 X 8 utility trailer out of the weeds and convert it into a "two boat" transport. I was going to make a bed extension for boat hauling, but I think the small trailer would be better for taking two boats at once.

Now, here's the part that baffles me. . .

Why am I now thinking about what two other boats to build, after this? :shock:

I keep looking at the design pages of the Freedom 11, the Laker, and the Okwata! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Buy them all!
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

:D
Now, here's the part that baffles me. . .

Why am I now thinking about what two other boats to build, after this?
Welcome to my world - My Brother. :lol: :lol:

Life is good. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

On southernpaddler we only suggested that you build a easy to build boat so you would get a understanding of the process and then get HOOKED on Sawdust and Epoxy. It does it all the time.

Not even saying anything about the fun of paddling in the sunshine and fresh air without smelling any pollutants. All that just comes later as you have found out. :D

Welcome to the land of the free and fun loving folks. :wink:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Hmmmmmmm. . . Not one person said anything like, "Wait! Don't do it! You can beat this thing if you try!"

What a surprise! :lol:

Me, I'm a simple person. Everyone says so. Can't begin to tell you how many times I've overheard someone telling someone else, "Don't' worry about him. . . He's simple" :shock:

Gadgets are fun, but I really don't need many of them on a boat. A place to sit, maybe a rod holder for when I'm paddling, something to keep the tea cold, and very little else. :)

But Nanette, on the other hand, has already informed me that she expects hers to be "fully loaded." In fact, she says she wants me to "Pimp my float!" Good thing I have some kayak accessory shops bookmarked.

Think maybe there's a cable TV show in that? :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mike San, I'm more like you. I do NOT want any moving parts on my boats. I don't even like any metal on the boat. I consider an anvil to be the most trustworthy and reliable piece of equipment in the world. Hammers have two parts - handle and head - just one more thing to fail.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

The problem began when I started showing her pictures of various boats, like Micks, and then she began looking at others, and discovered what all can be done to make a "fully rigged" kayak. :shock:

When we bought her car, she got all the available options. When we bought my truck, the guy asked what all I had to have on it, I said, "It must be green."

She said I embarrassed her in public! :shock:

And now this.

I'm not so sure letting women on the Internet is such a good idea. It could lead to other things, not all of the good either!

Next thing you know, they'll want to vote!!!

I see dark days ahead. . .

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Barefoot, pregnant, etc.

"Woe and pain and utter misery ...."
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

FlaMike wrote:
But Nanette, on the other hand, has already informed me that she expects hers to be "fully loaded." In fact, she says she wants me to "Pimp my float!" Good thing I have some kayak accessory shops bookmarked.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
She wants you to ......Pimp Her Boat..... Just add some mud flaps , a whip antenna with a coon tail on the top. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

<loud wolf-whistle>
"Hey, Bay-bee! Choo wan a ride een my Love Boat?" :mrgreen:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL