Technical info about plywood types.

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Technical info about plywood types.

Post by Bemm 52 »

Wow some great information there guys.................... it kinda reinforces what I suspected about structural ply being OK for boat building as long as its encapsulated.

This is good news for me because I'm 25% thru a build using cheap structural ply.
DannyBoy
Type of boat I like: canoes and SOT kayaks

Post by DannyBoy »

What is the consensus on using bendable plywood for building.
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE,

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

DannyBoy wrote:What is the consensus on using bendable plywood for building.
Bending ply is sometimes only 2 layers and could be very floppy when assembling. I don't have any experience with it so I couldn't say for sure if it's good a bad. But it seems like it could be problematic.

The designs should not require any more bend than what traditional ply can do.
-Matt. Designer.
DannyBoy
Type of boat I like: canoes and SOT kayaks

Post by DannyBoy »

Welp that's a good enough answer for me hehe< would explain why its only 7 bucks sheet> I shall just stick to lowes luan hasn't done me wrong yet!!

Thanks Matt

45 more days and I get to leave this freakn sand box
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE,

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Im building a sail boat at the moment (Pleasev humour me Matt) using structural ply have found one source no voids ie good stuff another source voids ........thumbs down. both are A bond adhesivie same as marine ply in Aussie. also they seem tosuck in epoxy better
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Came across this:

http://www.patriottimber.com/revolutionply.htm

I sent a request for some technical info and weight per sheet for their available sizes of "2.7mm up to 18mm". If the weight isn't outrageous (or the price), this could be a nice middle ground between Marine Grade Okoume and cheap big-box store ply. Will update once I have some more info.

I like the idea it's all plantation grown. Although I think many of your tropical ply producers are alomst exclusively plantation grown.
-Matt. Designer.