Tandems

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Tandems

Post by tx river rat »

If you shortened the decks on a North Wind and put in a center brace would it make a decent tandem?
Ron
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Re: Tandems

Post by Mick »

Ron,

I think it depends on the intended use and the size of the paddlers. With the max. recommended weight being around 500 pounds, i think it would make a fine day tripper as a tandem or even a light overnighter.

I am thinking of doing something similar with my Southwind, only converting her into a tandem sea kayak.

Evie and I combined, weigh 350 pounds approximately so that gives a bit over 100 pounds to carry our picnic and foul weather stuff which is plenty.

I think that both of these designs are very good, seaworthy boats and would work well as tandems.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

North Wind would be a tight fit tandem, but you could do it.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

This would be just what Mick said a good daytriper and a light overnighter.
I am down to 198 Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ,want to see 185 . this boat would be for me and and a 100 lb kiddo most of the time might have two adults that would weigh 350.
It would also be another solo boat . Did I mention I love the North wind :lol: :lol: .
Ron