What to build? What to build?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lpm
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

What to build? What to build?

Post by lpm »

For about 3 years now, I have been staring at this site and the Southernpaddler Forum, thinking to myself "Build a boat, it will be fun and satisfying." I mean, afterall who wouldn't get any sense of self satisfaction from paddling something you created with your own two hands.

During the past 3 years, I have been contemplating exactly what type of craft would best suit my needs and this is what I have narrowed my thoughts to:

1. Building would have to be fairly simple for the first-timer

2. It will need to be able to be solo paddled, but have the capacity to carry 2 people with gear. (Say in the 500-600lbs minimum range)

3. If at all possible, it will need to be stable enough for one with good balance to stand in (idea of adding sponsons is perfectly acceptable)

4. If possible, it will need to have decent tracking ability.

Now, this does seem like a lot for a newbie to boat building like myself to ask for. But, something tells me that one of the designs on this website is what I am looking for. I'm just not certain which design.

So I turn to you experts for a recommendation. A long term goal is to build the Sabolo or even that new touring SOT mentioned awhile back. I would just like some practice before I embark on a more difficult challenge like that.

So the question is: "What to build? What to build?"

-- Paul
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The 15-32 version of the Townsend might suite your needs very well:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... d=Townsend

How "simple" is simple?

I have a 5-panel canoe I'm working on that's like the Merrimac except with the bottom panel being flat.
-Matt. Designer.
banoe

Post by banoe »

I second the Townsend. Easy to build, paddles great, good and stable, and "most importain" catches fish!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

banoe wrote: ... and "most importain" catches fish!
And that wasn't easy to design in. :shock:
-Matt. Designer.
lpm
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lpm »

Thanks guys!

The Townsend is the boat that I have really been considering. Now I've just got to find the time. I believe it will be a perfect summer/late spring project.

Matt:

When I say simple to build, I'm merely referring to something that someone who has basic woodworking knowledge, and basic tools can easily put together without "losing their religion" too much.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi 1pm,

Have a go mate. Fibreglass, wood flour and paint will hide a lot of sins.

There is plenty of help and advice freely available right here and the worst thing that might happen is that your boat might not be as pretty as it could be. Your woodworking skills will improve and your next boat will be much better.

regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)