Zephyrus - Rocker?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Mullet_Key
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Zephyrus - Rocker?

Post by Mullet_Key »

Matt, does the Z' have any rocker? Does the model with the 11" cockpit lenght need a thwart in the center? And would you recommend typical off-the-shelf molded sit-in kayak seats for the seating? MK
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

To answer you question: Yes, 1" stern and 2" bow.

Some background:

The Zeph that is shown was a custom design for Eric Voss (Kayak Jack's son). I believe Eric is registered on this site as well. Anyway, those are the specs he asked for.

The Kruger Sea Wind, which inspired the creation of the Zeph, has alomst 2.5" of rocker bow and stern but that rocker is only at about 4' from the bow and stern. So instead of rocker that forms the entire length of the boat, it's only at the ends. This is what give the Sea Wind it's amazing maneuverability. The trade off is the you need a rudder to keep it straight.

I plan on making another version of the Zeph with the same rocker as the Sea Wind but that project is on the back burner until someone is serious about building one and buys the plans and asks for the change.

I've also thought about an almost zero rocker version as well for pure sea touring.

As far as the thwart, if you install a robust interior gunnel/gunwall, like a 1x2, you won't need a thwart unless you plan on some heavy loads. The tumblehome panel also helps provide strength to the hull.

An off-the-shelf, sit-in molded seats would work well. I thought about retailing the ones made by Kajak Sports.

http://www.gokajaksport.com/Pages/fittings.html

You may have to build a simple mounting platform if you want to place it on the bottom of the hull. If you're going to suspend the seat from the sheer, then yes you'll definately need a thwart behind the back band.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

The Sea Wind has a coaming all around the cockpit; this adds rigidity. Seat height is about 4" off the bottom. A Sea Breeze (shallower model of the Sea Wind) could utilize a bit lower seating without the paddler hitting the coaming or gunnels.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
chad19

sea wind type boat

Post by chad19 »

I'd like to see someone offer a sea wind type boat. I've got a Bell Rob Roy and have thought of building something bigger and more Kruger-like. I can't afford a real Kruger. I'd like a sea tripping canoe that's decked around 16.5 or 17 feet. Rudder? maybe. I'd probably want a sliding bucket seat and definitely foot pegs or a brace. Any thoughts.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Chad,

I replied to your e-mail before reading this post. I'll be redrawing the Zeph for a new version to be closer to the concepts of the Sea Wind.

Now since my boat is Stitch and Glue, I could never truly duplicate the Sea Wind, but we can get about 90% close.

I found an old Ford Tractor seat that weighs about 1000 pounds but is super comfortable. I'm going to try to make a mold from it and see if I can produce a light weight fiberglass tractor seat to sell on my website.

I've been tinkering with a rudder system too. I have not found a rudder
system that does not seem flimsy. But Sea Line is a pretty good brand. I'm not as versed in rudders as others are. Maybe someone could offer advice.

So if you can sit tight for a bit, I'll have something new to offer. I'll even post it early so all can contribute to the design features.
-Matt. Designer.
chad19

zeph plans

Post by chad19 »

anything new with the zeph? what about that zero rocker "sea touring" concept. would a zero rocker boat handle waves all that well?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

New (and by God, FINAL) revision of the Zeph plans have been drawn.

Still need to re-create the assembly instructions.

But the biggest hold up is working with my CNC vendor for pricing the pre-cut plywood kit.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer you question: Yes, 1" stern and 2" bow.

Some background:

The Zeph that is shown was a custom design for Eric Voss (Kayak Jack's son). I believe Eric is registered on this site as well. Anyway, those are the specs he asked for.

The Kruger Sea Wind, which inspired the creation of the Zeph, has alomst 2.5" of rocker bow and stern but that rocker is only at about 4' from the bow and stern. So instead of rocker that forms the entire length of the boat, it's only at the ends. This is what give the Sea Wind it's amazing maneuverability. The trade off is the you need a rudder to keep it straight.

I plan on making another version of the Zeph with the same rocker as the Sea Wind but that project is on the back burner until someone is serious about building one and buys the plans and asks for the change.

I've also thought about an almost zero rocker version as well for pure sea touring.
Hi Matt, Guess what mate, I'm fair dinkum. :D :D any piccies of your version of this magnificent boat. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Oh my,

I want one of these. I have found my next expedition boat. I have some serious improving to do in my boat building skills, I think, before I start on this one.

Matt, what are the overall dimensions? and what is its load capacity?
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)