Study Plans

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Study Plans

Post by PiratePete »

Are there some more detailed study plans of the Wadefish & Pelagic SOT Kayaks. I would like to see some more detail to see if my 15 Year old daughter & I can build one or even 2 of these Kayaks. I am thinking of the 15/32 version so I can make some rod storage like the Hobie Pro Angler.

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Study Plans

Post by jem »

I'd be willing to after a pro-angler like design but it's complex and would be time consuming. Would need more commitment from potential builders.

what additional Wadefish info are you looking for?
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Thanks for your quick reply :D :D :D :D

I am a small man so what I was thinking of was by building the 32" the width of 810mm is close to the Pro Anglers 970mm & I would be able to build in the rod storage as per the pro. This would keep them closer to hand & in the event of a roll over in the surf the rods would be less likely to be lost or damaged.

Pete
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

I have read the spots off all the posts I can find about building a Wadefish & I like the looks of them & am thinking of building 2 kayaks.

I am 172cm (5' 8'') tall & weigh in around 70 to 75Kgs (154 to 165lb) & my daughter is 158cm (5' 2") & weighs in around 60Kgs ( 130lb )

Which of the 2 Wadefish lay outs would best suit our height & weights.

I would like to add a Hobie Mirage Drive to both boats & if there is room rod holders like the Hobie pictured above, maybe only 1 each side. I am about 40cm (16”) across the hips.

Are there different sizes for the cockpits as Cate being so short she would swim in one that was too large & as it will be her boat it would be good to have it fit her particularly with a Mirage Drive fitted to the boat.

On the subject of the rod holders, how well does say PVC water pipe & the epoxy adhere to one & other to make the tubes run up in through the bow from the front of the cockpit. Or do I need to use a fitting such as a pop that is used for joining down pipes to a gutter so I can use a sealer around the joint after the boat is made & screw them in.

I will probably have more question but these are the main ones.

Thanks in advance
Peter & Cate
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Just thought of another thing.

If you fit a Mirage Drive is there room to fit foot rests for when you dont want to use the Drive & want something to brace you feet against to paddle??
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

As I said I would think of more things to add.

We have a Perception Flow roto moulded Kayak at 3m in length & 80mm wide now & Cate can handle that with ease.

Thanks in advance

Peter & Cate
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

PP if I was you I'd build the reg. Wadefish as the 15x32 is alot of boat JMO :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Ok the Wadefish are 15' boats & I have been reading more of the site & see talk of a Wadefish 3 in say 13' or the Bluefin in 12' would these be a better size of boat for our smaller size.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

PP I think the 27" Wadefish would be your best choice if your going try to store 2 rods on deck. Because there is fiberglass tubes that you could install though the cockpit front bulkhead into the bow area and install a square hatch also in that bulkhead for easy access. I installed a hatch on mine but your not going to safely open that type once out in the surf. You have to remember that the Hobie Anger is something like 36" wide and is more like a Bass Boat. As far as a boat in the 12' range that would be something other's would have to chime in on,but most people have been building in the 15' range, Hopes this helps :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Thanks for your info Mike.

Im in Tasmania, Australia & where I live the boat would be used on the local rivers & lakes more than the sea so surf isnt really a worry.

Our target fish would be trout in fresh water & bream in estuaries.

Pete